theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Still not starting guys,any advice?.. (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=22135)

Mossy88 29-07-12 03:19 PM

Still not starting guys,any advice?..

The mg that I have is the 1.8 zs. Now the problem is all from fitting a new head after hg failure, a guy put it back together but was wrong the exhaust cam was 180 out so wouldn't fire up.

I stripped it of its cam belt and realigned them how they should be and refitted the leads the right way around.. There is new plugs in and there is fuel getting in but some reason it's still not firing up,

Can someone please shed some light on this and where I'm going around,

Thanks. Danny

MG6Turbo 29-07-12 03:29 PM

Firstly have you got a spark ? If not then it could be a cam or crank shaft sensor issue.

If you have a spark and got fuel then next step is a compression test. It could be that your hydraulic lifters have locked out. A tow start would sort this but I would want to be a 100% sure that the timing is right before attempting this.

G

Mossy88 29-07-12 04:02 PM

What's the best way to check for a spark? Also the timing is spot on mate turned over twice by hand and they're All good. Is there Anything else that I can try to eliminate?. I've cleaned the cam sensor but not sure where the crank one is and how to get it out.. It's a new head would it not have a light oil coating on the lifters?

peterzs 29-07-12 04:17 PM

Has the battery still got a good charge in it, if they start to run down can do funny things.

Mossy88 29-07-12 08:52 PM

Yea mate its brand new,, it turns over fine but sounds as though there is no spark happening its winding me right up now

Dan1971 29-07-12 09:20 PM

Mine was turning over - just not catching.

Took out the cam sensor and cleaned it up - worked once again then packed in.

Changed the sensor - for a second hand one - all good -

The sensor being faulty won't necessarily be visible.

andy-81 30-07-12 12:22 AM

i know its a bit of a daft question but are the plugs around the inlet manifold all connected or plugged in the wrong way round?

Mossy88 30-07-12 05:56 AM

Yes mate theyl only go on one way wont they?. I can see why these are not popular cars now.. Its really gripping me i just want it on the road before i drive back to the uk on wednesday.

ZS 30-07-12 06:43 AM

As your looking under the car the crank sensor is above the exhaust pipe in the side of the gearbox bell housing...

Looks similar to the cam sensor, quite difficult to get at as the manifold means you can't move the exhaust pipe...

Might be silly question, but have you pushed the fuel cut off switch in the cabin incase it was knocked at all? and also have you activated and deactivated the alarm/immobiliser incase that has kicked in? - oh and checked all earth points and fuses are clean and in one peice?

Hope that was of some help... - TBH they are fairly easy engines to work on, but they got a bit of bad press and now people seem to expect things to go wrong and don't have as much patience with them...

theboynoz 30-07-12 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mossy88 (Post 265388)
What's the best way to check for a spark? Also the timing is spot on mate turned over twice by hand and they're All good. Is there Anything else that I can try to eliminate?. I've cleaned the cam sensor but not sure where the crank one is and how to get it out.. It's a new head would it not have a light oil coating on the lifters?

Can get some tools from a car shop I.E. Halfrauds (damn it, using them twice in one day) i think the laser range of tools has some spark plug thingys (techinical, i know!) they are red an sit on top of the plug, then the lead connects to that and you can see if the spark order is correct, this would therefore also tell you if the spark is present at all!

Try them.....