theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   'Do stuff' meets (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=22637)

stamford 14-09-12 08:07 AM

'Do stuff' meets

After the last meet at my place and how well this went I have given this some more thought and want to canvas opinions on whether this is something we could do more often?

Also on the back of this if I was looking to hold a stock of typical spares if this were to help?

Might pay for members to post what sort of work they think would benefit so I can gauge the level of work wanted, extra tools required and parts to consider?

This would also double as a learning workshop for those wishing they could do jobs on their zeds but not sure where to start.

Please bear in-mind this is not a business as I do have a day job and a life! So this will be strictly weekends only as and when it suits.

Discuss and let's see if there is any mileage in this.

peterzs 14-09-12 08:16 AM

Great way to learn about the bits you want to change, sticky rear brake sliders for example. Knowing what bolts to undo and in what sequence.

Could save £££££££££££££'s by DIY, instead of taking it into a garage.

Phate 14-09-12 08:25 AM

I'd come down to these for the banter :)

talkingcars 14-09-12 08:27 AM

I would love to be involved - would have considered last weekend if I hadn't already been commited.

Apart from a possible gearbox change one day, fitting LPG, changing my mk1 air con to mk2 climate control and finishing my cruise control all I currently need to do is find and fix my oil leak, change a caliper and fix some door handles.

I can help with brakes and door handles and some electrical stuff having done them myself.

I would offer to host one but as we only have a driveway big enough for a metro and double yellow lines it isn't really suitable.

stamford 14-09-12 08:43 AM

I can manage two cars up the drive, one infront of the garage and one by the side so space not an issue. Parking is okay as not a busy road.

p_b82 14-09-12 09:37 AM

It is the sort of thing that I would love to do but not all too sure on time requirements and whether i would be able to do it.

Ideally i want to be in a position to do most the work on the car myself when the major alterations are finally completed - but to date the only thing i have done is spot a leaking CV boot and change the fronts calipers\carriers and disks\pads.

Life gets in the way and it is just 'easier' to get matt to look at the niggles as and when they arise - as and when the car is due serviceing etc (usually something breaks and it gets shipped off and i tie the routine work into the fixing of issue).

If i were to tun up to a meet, i could bring a decent trolley jack and axle stands that dont see enough use (yet ) :laugh:

only large thing that might be on the cards is a 'brembodge' upgrade and a possible upgrade to the master cylinder as a result of the extra braking requirement - if i get the set from the reyland ZS

KirkJames 14-09-12 10:10 AM

I think it's a very good idea, it would be mega far for me but to get to know a few things i would probably try and make a weekend of it!

petet16 14-09-12 10:18 AM

I think it is a top idea, both for jobs where more than one pair of hands is useful, and also for people who want to learn how to do jobs, things like sticky calipers, vis motors, clutch hydraulics, and also for the social side of meeting people and putting faces to names.

A further suggestion would be that people attending could bring contributions for the barbie maybe.

Nobrainer 14-09-12 10:18 AM

Sounds good. Definately be up for this when I can get the time. Oil cooler needs looking at, bits of trim inside, graphics on outside, basic service, handbrake and other stuff I can't think of right now

Jay-ZS+ 14-09-12 10:30 AM

I think its a great idea, I know from past experience often I could have done a job myself but nice to have the moral support or expertise of someone who has done it before. Its abit far for me to travel being a skint student and all but a good idea.

Id imagine standard things like;
Brake Disc/pads,
Oil and filter changes.
VIS issues
Fitting induction kits
catch tank plumbing. (know this seems to confuse people as to which pipes to use)

Might want to avoid suspension and exhaust jobs always seem to be a mare on zs' plus wont do your back any favours!

Could always use it to do some detailed "How to's" help those that cant get to yours.

M17TT180 14-09-12 11:16 AM

All i need is my seat mount welding back on but I would like to watch and learn a whole host of things.

theboynoz 14-09-12 11:48 AM

Would be a good idea for me, need to learn how to do the rear brakes properly - Can do most other 'stuff' myself these days expect fitting clutches, i get a pro to do that. Suspension is something i have tackled, but not 100% confident with, i would say 80% confident.... But that is neither here or there as you are approx. 3 1/2 hours from me lol....

Could turn up to a central meet one day though if anyone has one ;)

andys1981 14-09-12 11:55 AM

i just cant wait until we start on smokeys track car,should be a good laugh/turnout

peterzs 14-09-12 12:24 PM

Got as far as taking my wheels off to check the pads.

Fronts looked OK but the rears were low.

Read up how to, put a spanner on it and it was solid, with the thoughts of Smokey and his rounding the bolts off, put it all back and took it to a local garage.

Charged just under £50 to fit my supplied pads.

Still got my front pads to fit!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

MG 53 ZED 14-09-12 12:54 PM

I would love to be apart of this for the banter and to learn how to do some jobs on the car plus to help other members if i can.

daytona365 14-09-12 01:37 PM

Im up for more meets. Even if not to fix mine. Good meet and gr8 food. Plus chance to get hands dirty. Dont have much to do to mine lol

Dan1971 14-09-12 03:23 PM

To be fair, I reckon we could muck in for most things, but I think the car owner should bring what ever they want to get done. I'll be up for getting an induction set up and lowering springs next and would be more than happy to come down with the actual kit in the boot, and let everyone loose on my shed using your tools to get it all done. I doubt there is anything on the car that with our collective knowledge, tools, a Haynes manual and the internet just incase - that we couldn't all muck in and change.

In terms of stocking kit Mick - not sure - maybe nuts, bolts, washers and cable ties but not anything like oil, spark plugs etc unless you wanted to turn it into a bit of a business thing, or make it a site profit making opportunity.

I'd be up for coming down again for sure.....

Smokey 14-09-12 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterzs (Post 272302)
with the thoughts of Smokey and his rounding the bolts off, put it all back and took it to a local garage.

Gee, thanks for bringing that up lol!!

In fact, I should do "How Not To's"!

With regards to meets, great idea, Our Scottish one for doing the engine swap will be pretty epic!

Fred68 14-09-12 05:10 PM

Quote:

Read up how to, put a spanner on it and it was solid, with the thoughts of Smokey and his rounding the bolts off, put it all back and took it to a local garage.

With garages charging that much I'm glad I do everything myself !!

grimmy 14-09-12 06:05 PM

We have been doing these meets for ages and they are excellen.t me helping Blair with the track car and kev and Marcus changing my thermostat when my back was gubbed are great examples of how this idea works.need to get one going up here as well.

Smokey 14-09-12 06:08 PM

I'll soon have seats to swap over lol!

theboynoz 14-09-12 06:38 PM

Quote:

Mine is off to the garage to get tge rear pads and discs done for the same reason.... 50 to do the job too!

Captain Peanut 14-09-12 11:58 PM

I think it's a great idea. Would love to learn how to do the slightly more involved jobs (timing belt, head gasket, clutch replacement) and get to put names to faces.

Have managed most jobs so far (brakes, cv joints etc) so happy to hel others with what I can too.

waynester 15-09-12 03:50 AM

Yep, great idea! Be nice to meet people & look at cars. Getting a second opinion on any issues & perhaps fixes would be very useful..:)

Ritchy 15-09-12 11:51 AM

sounds good but its always worthwhile having at least 1 person there that really knows what they are doing to instruct ect, also can end up with a too many cooks scenario, when helping stu in the past fling engines in and out,(think 3 there now) had issues with people putting bits on wrong, or putting things on loose, not telling people the bits are loose, then when it comes to starting theres an issue and your having to look back through it all again.
usually a good weekend though, would advise a box of nitrile gloves as can save a sink 10 people washing oily hands in there afterwards

peterzs 15-09-12 01:12 PM

Some good points Ritchy, like the gloves tip!!

Nobrainer 15-09-12 05:59 PM

It might be nice to have a 'subject' to entice people. Easier to do the same job a couple of times if they are more major and just fit little bits around that. What about Sunday 23rd at Sams (ZS). We can strip his car as well. I'll make a suggestion of basic/ more advanced servicing as a theme but open to other suggestions.

peterzs 15-09-12 06:10 PM

Typical, off to Halfway House meet Brentwood 23/9/12.

ZS 15-09-12 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobrainer (Post 272503)
It might be nice to have a 'subject' to entice people. Easier to do the same job a couple of times if they are more major and just fit little bits around that. What about Sunday 23rd at Sams (ZS). We can strip his car as well. I'll make a suggestion of basic/ more advanced servicing as a theme but open to other suggestions.

Thats a great Idea, except for one thing... I'll be driving back from Stoke-On-Trent on the 23rd! :whistle:

peterzs 15-09-12 06:49 PM

Whens best for you then Sam??

ZS 15-09-12 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterzs (Post 272508)
Whens best for you then Sam??

Tomorrow? lol or the weekend of the 29th\30th? :)

peterzs 15-09-12 07:01 PM

got permission for both dates, so could do tomorrow. Or 29/30.

Just need a postcode, house number and time.

talkingcars 15-09-12 07:06 PM

How far is Sams car getting stripped?

I definatly up for that, I love stripping cars.

http://home.btconnect.com/talkingcar...end%20003a.jpg

peterzs 15-09-12 07:13 PM

To the bone I think.

ZS 15-09-12 07:30 PM

As far as it will go... storing all parts in the garage once off, can't put cars in there so space isn't much of an issue.

I need to get the engine strapped to the pallet asap really (what do I use to strap it on?) Ready to be shipped.

The major stumbling block I have found for me is the kids... childcare is the number one issue in my life lol...

Pete, I plan to do some more stripping tomorrow anyway (ooo err missus!), so your welcome to help if you wish :)

peterzs 15-09-12 07:39 PM

OK Sam, PM your details, see you about 10ish if thats OK.

Do you want me to bring up a trolly jack??

I have some lorry strops, see if I can dig one out to strap the engine down.

ZS 15-09-12 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterzs (Post 272536)
OK Sam, PM your details, see you about 10ish if thats OK.

Do you want me to bring up a trolly jack??

I have some lorry strops, see if I can dig one out to strap the engine down.

I have one trolley jack... but another can't hurt.

If your serious about popping over and helping I'd be silly to turn down the help! Thank you!

Sonic_160zr 15-09-12 08:00 PM

Deffinatly up for more meets like this, I really want to be able to more jobs on the car myself so being able to watxh someone and help would be great, as long as members aren't left out of pocket when hosting (for food or consumables etc.)

Maybe have a kitty for each meet that attendees can chuck a couple of ££ to help cover the costs for food and have a pre organised list of what jobs are being done at the meet.

Cheers,
Matt

peterzs 15-09-12 08:08 PM

Site wouldnt be up and running without all your computer wizardry, so I'm happy giving a bit back.

Might be more of a hindrance than a help, but always easier with two working.

Bringing the jack up, plus some tools.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ZS 15-09-12 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterzs (Post 272549)
Site wouldnt be up and running without all your computer wizardry, so I'm happy giving a bit back.

Might be more of a hindrance than a help, but always easier with two working.

Bringing the jack up, plus some tools.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oooo tools, I need some larger star drive things to remove the seats if you happen to have any??