theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Well that's mine written off. (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=25262)

Skillen 10-05-13 07:22 AM

Well that's mine written off.

Some idiot pulled out from a junction, didn't look hit another woman in the side of her car and the hit my car with the momentum.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...psc4c38e0f.jpg

R8NMG 10-05-13 07:28 AM

Well that's mine written off.

Wow that didn't last long. Doesn't look that bad.

petet16 10-05-13 07:33 AM

That's not a write off, I wouldn't even bother with the insurance for that.

petet16 10-05-13 07:37 AM

Wrong colour, but back on the road for £140
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZS-180-...item4ac2e45da6

Skillen 10-05-13 07:41 AM

The lad needs to go through his insurance as he had a hire car and totally ruined that.
And the other ladies car was damaged quite a lot.
So it'll have to as that all needs sorted and hopefully they won't but they like to write ours off for very little.

Enright 10-05-13 07:58 AM

Insurance companies would still prefer to spend as little as possible, and if that means settling for satisfactory 2nd hand parts then they'll take the common-sense approach (especially if someone else has already been clever enough to source them on their behalf).
Just a thought but when I got my car it had no front bumper on it. I bought an XPG one from a trader who is no longer on this site and had it sprayed. That was nearly 2 years ago and it's peeling a bit around the edges to reveal the original paint underneath.
There's probably good paint still under there.
I wouldn't mind that one that Pete found as my car is Firefrost (CEV). If you want a chat about going halves on it and then having mine, PM me.

M17TT180 10-05-13 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petet16 (Post 306988)
Wrong colour, but back on the road for £140
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZS-180-...item4ac2e45da6

Plus prep and spraying, new headlamp and a wheel refurb. Can see why it would be written off.

Unfortunate mate, guess you hadn't even tried the grill yet!

Could use my mk1 xpg to do a retro conversion!!

Skillen 10-05-13 08:00 AM

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps5404bd3f.jpg

Tomoose 10-05-13 08:28 AM

Gutted for you. Hope it all gets sorted to your satisfaction.

What a pi$$er. :(

Tomoose 10-05-13 08:44 AM

So you need a bumper, headlight and a wheel? Is the wing ok?

Its a certainty that it'll be written off. Please do buy it back though and don't let it be scrapped for such a minor amount of damage... :)

peterzs 10-05-13 08:57 AM

Shame to hear, glad no one was hurt.

Bumper and headlight, plus labour to prep and paint, think I would get a couple of quotes from a body shop and see if the insurance would give you the money to sort out.

Or let them write it off and buy back.

The cat C or D wont matter much as unfortunately, the selling prices are low anyway.

Hope you can sort it easily.

BUCKYDEVIL 10-05-13 09:08 AM

Will see what I can do to help you with that XPG MK2 breaking up here.

Captain Peanut 10-05-13 09:18 AM

Not good news but, as already said, good that no-one was hurt. Hopefully you can get something sorted out and keep it on the road.

grimmy 10-05-13 09:41 AM

I am going to have spook at the car this afternoon I will let you know what nick the bumper is in.what else is needed headlight,wing?

Skillen 10-05-13 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grimmy (Post 307010)
I am going to have spook at the car this afternoon I will let you know what nick the bumper is in.what else is needed headlight,wing?

I think the wing is alright tbh.
Not had time to fully assess the car yet as I'm at work now.
Headlight will be, not sure what the stuff under the bumper is like.

grimmy 10-05-13 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skillen (Post 307012)
I think the wing is alright tbh.
Not had time to fully assess the car yet as I'm at work now.
Headlight will be, not sure what the stuff under the bumper is like.

Okay doke.like I say going for a nosy later.

shycho 10-05-13 10:34 AM

My ZR needed the bumper and front wing fixing and re-spraying when a bus decided that we now give way to the left at roundabouts, but that wasn't written off, and I assume a ZS would be worth more so hopefully they just repair it.
Bet the hire company is fuming a 2 month old car has just been greatly devalued. But at least everyone was ok.

POMPSKI 10-05-13 11:09 AM

NO!

Absolutely gutted for you mate......

Hope it all works out.....

petet16 10-05-13 12:19 PM

A quick check of the cost of new parts, assuming it's just Bumper, headlight, and wheel arch flare comes out at £686, all are in stock at xpart.

Skillen 10-05-13 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petet16 (Post 307021)
A quick check of the cost of new parts, assuming it's just Bumper, headlight, and wheel arch flare comes out at £686, all are in stock at xpart.

I shall let them know that :)
Be nice if it was new parts I got.
And if I had to buy it back with a payoff also then I could put that towards a re-spray :D

grimmy 10-05-13 01:10 PM

Rightyho just back from having a quick look at it they want 80 quid for headlight and bumper for starters.the bumper has a very small scuff on the underneath edge on the drivers side but not bad the rest would polish up well.head light is fine.the drivers side doors have been keyed to death and a re in a poor state,passenger door has small dent other door seems okay.all door handles are wrecked bonnet,hatch and rear bumpers all okay,stainless back box.alcantara interior with quite heavy wear on the drivers seat as per usual.mk2 alloys with rubbish tyres.apparently it runs but never saw that.

petet16 10-05-13 01:14 PM

That's not a bad price at all for a bumper and headlight, especially as they are the correct colour

Skillen 10-05-13 01:19 PM

Sounds like a wreck the rest of it.
Not a bad price. If I can point them in the direction of it then hopefully they can get it and tidy it up for me.
Don't need the bonnet I don't think. But mine is full of stone chips

grimmy 10-05-13 01:29 PM

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...3/IMAG0167.jpg
A quick pic.

grimmy 10-05-13 01:31 PM

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...3/IMAG0168.jpg
Other side.

petet16 10-05-13 01:35 PM

Are they going to sell the bumper with the fog lights and mesh still fitted, there could be some money to be made selling the left over bits that you don't need.

grimmy 10-05-13 01:37 PM

Probably if you were removing the parts yourself they wouldn't have a clue if the other parts went with it to be honest.

petet16 10-05-13 01:43 PM

Perfect:smile1:

Skillen 10-05-13 01:57 PM

Hehe!
I'll get in touch with them.
If it goes ahead could grab the grill too and say it comes with it haha!

Doesn't look too bad nick to be honest.
How were the lights for cloudy lenses?

POMPSKI 10-05-13 02:24 PM

I've got a spare pair of headlights stashed away for a rainy day if it comes to it.....

Skillen 10-05-13 03:28 PM

I've just had a closer look now and it seems it has scratched and chipped paint on the wing and the bonnet too. And I think the slightly put of place looking bonnet could be the wing pushed back :(

It gets worse :(

Skillen 10-05-13 03:31 PM

Cheers gents. Always get good support from forum members.
Makes it worthwhile being a supporter too.

ian zs180 10-05-13 03:41 PM

Gutted for you mate hope you get it sorted ok

Skillen 10-05-13 05:10 PM

Well apparently my insurer office is closed as is the bloody claims company that told me to ring back as the office would be open till 8.

Absolutely bollocks this ****. How the eff do they expect you to claim and sort **** quickly.

talkingcars 10-05-13 05:50 PM

Gutted for you.

I would spend some time tomorrow morning getting quotes from a couple of body shops, I'd ask them for 3 quotes as follows
a)repair using new parts,
b)repair with you supplying new parts.
c)repair with you supplying used parts (so no painting).

I would then contact their insurance company saying that you will accept a cash settlement for a figure just below the highest and that you will arrange the repair - get the parts you need and repair yourself, I'm sure there will be help from the forum, then spend the difference on some mods.

Also worth collecting together all the current ads for the more expensive mk2 that are around at the moment so you can show the insurance companies the current true cost of a replacement against book.

Skillen 10-05-13 07:00 PM

I will do just that.
Only problem is that I'm at work again tomorrow so not much time to do it.
The insurance company has a claim open now too.
Hopefully I can get my way a little!

Skillen 13-05-13 12:57 PM

The claim people have been in touch and they want me to use a body shop in Gretna for the repairs.

The shop got in touch today, they said that they would like pics of the damage and they might struggle to find the parts.
I said that I would be able to help with new fittings and I could give them the links for new parts which they agreed to.
So I need links peeps :)
For:
Drivers side headlight
Front bumper with all the mk2 180 trimmings, spats etc.

Think the bonnet and wing could be sprayed but links to new would be nice if fixings for them are fubard.

Hopefully they'll be able to spray the full bonnet ;) (probably have to to make it blend no?

Hope it's a quick turnaround.

shycho 13-05-13 01:18 PM

I would be asking them to respray the full bonnet. Because if they try and blend their new paint in with your old paint the lacquer they use will be weakened where the blending has taken place. Much easier to just spray the whole bonnet and be done with it.

petet16 13-05-13 01:36 PM

Are they going to use all new parts, I'll do some links if it's new you're after

Skillen 13-05-13 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petet16 (Post 307295)
Are they going to use all new parts, I'll do some links if it's new you're after

They said that they would use them new yeah! They said they might struggle to find parts. Tbh the bonnet and wing seem straight so more the bumper/light.

Thanks pete massive help!