theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   Cars Wanted (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Mk1 ZS 180 Saloon (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=11462)

mattie007 13-03-10 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 145430)
:huh: Can't have been .... you didn't buy one ?

Nope! I spoke to them all over the phone and made a point of asking if they where in vgc with a major service. When I got there, none of them could prove if the belts had actually been done, the paintwork left alot to be desired and all drove a bit 'odd'.
Maybe Im being naive as these they were 5-7 year old cars, but why lie over the phone? I would rather them just say, its not great, but doesnt need a lot spending on it.

The search continues!

mattie007 17-03-10 01:55 PM

Ive changed my mind, especially with petrol prices expected to be at 1.30 by the end of the year :(

Looks like Im going the TF cams route :smart:

stamford 17-03-10 03:53 PM

Shocking price isn't it! Good job I have got my Disco back and the ZS is an occassional car now.

Dan1971 17-03-10 04:52 PM

If you take the time to work out what the extra cost actually is of the petrol compared to the mileage you'd get out of the 180 - I bet you it wouldn't be as much as the cams etc and everything else you'd want to do to your 120 !

I don't know - say 250 (fun filled smiling) miles per tank (£50) for a 180 and 350 per tank for a 120.

The fuel is the same cost, so it depends on your mileage.

Say it's 6K - that would cost you - (24x50) -
£1200 in fuel in a 180.
£857 in fuel in a 120

So - very simply- you would save a whapping £343 in petrol over the year. Break that down to every month and you'd save £28.50.

Do more miles and the difference gets bigger. If you do less miles - the savings will not be as much.

Personally - I'd say get a 180.....but I would I suppose.

If the petrol is your reason for not getting one - I'd say - get one. If it's a combination of all of the running costs and the petrol has tipped the scale - fair enough.

Ofcourse - you could get a bike !

talkingcars 17-03-10 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattie007 (Post 145448)
Nope! I spoke to them all over the phone and made a point of asking if they where in vgc with a major service. When I got there, none of them could prove if the belts had actually been done, the paintwork left alot to be desired and all drove a bit 'odd'.
Maybe Im being naive as these they were 5-7 year old cars, but why lie over the phone? I would rather them just say, its not great, but doesnt need a lot spending on it.

The search continues!

I know this is old news but if the 3 cars you looked at were close to your price of £1600 but a long way off in quality doesn't that make you think you need to budget more or accept less.

mattie007 18-03-10 09:14 AM

Your right mate, I had increased my budget, only for hours to get cut at work. Im a warehouse manager and was on 40 hours, its now 30 :( It was that or leave. So thats £300 less a month, that would of done nicely for petrol.

I really dont know what to do, im so undecisive!
The cam conversion will cost around £450 inc labour or around £700 with a remap.

Dan, good way of looking at it. Ive got a bike though ;)

Dan1971 18-03-10 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattie007 (Post 146310)

Dan, good way of looking at it. Ive got a bike though ;)

Then use it more and get a 180 !

stamford 18-03-10 12:25 PM

ZS180 = 250 miles to a tank, I guess that is if you are reasonably heavy footed ;)

I averaged 320 to a tank and that was mixed driving on a weekly commute. If I drove sensibly and kept it under 65 mph ;) and below 3k then it would increase beyond 350.

Don't forget, a car weighing approximately the same with an under powered engine fitted will consume more fuel when pushed compared with the same car fitted with a bigger capacity engine with more power. You do not need to use all the power all of the time in this instance but it is there when needed :D

cdti 21-03-10 02:55 AM

TB 180 saloon with belts, clutch and slave cylinder done (unfortunately not a sheddist) recent cv joints for MOT and N/S front bearing, and full geometry setup, if your interested PM.