theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Dark ice designs turbo outlet pipe (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=20805)

sim85 16-04-12 05:15 PM

Dark ice designs turbo outlet pipe

Hi there just wondering if anybody has fitted the outlet pipe to the l series and whether it makes much of a difference over the standard one. Thanks

p_b82 19-04-12 11:36 AM

I have one of the 'original' Donny pipes..... and it helps make the turbo a little more responsive - but realisitcally doesn't make a whole host of difference.

If you are not going beyond injectors and remap i would save the cash unless you want the bling in the engine bay :)

You can probably get the same gains by unsquashing the OE one in a vice lol

sim85 19-04-12 10:01 PM

Thanks p_b82,I definatley want to go further with the mods,was looking at a hybrid turbo but don't really know much about where to start or even where to get one,been looking everywhere! I did mean to ask as u have a td as well,what's the max boost I can have with the oe turbo?

p_b82 23-04-12 01:31 PM

Sorry late reply - been busy...

OE turbo is 19PSI max. anymore and you overspeed it and you actually loose power due to the heat generation - (and will damage the turbo in time)

Hybrid turbo's are a slight challenge for us - as the OE exhuast housing is really rather small and it creates too much pressure in the exhuast manifold.

Have a read of my build thread for some of the issues i have encountered using mine....

alternately nip over to mg-rover.org and read the diesel section if you want to see other
tuning options. (i dont think there are any other L-series specific sites where people are tuning - but there is always tdiclub and the forums for more generic (but VW orientated) tuning options)

Or feel free to ask me here or pm :)

sim85 23-04-12 07:17 PM

Thanks for the info mate,I think im running about 17 psi at the moment so I'll probably leave it there'it seems to be ok at that anyway,I was just curious lol. Will definatley have a read of the build thread on the hybrid,give me an idea of what to expect,thanks again p_b82

MG 53 ZED 01-01-13 06:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sim85 (Post 248876)
Hi there just wondering if anybody has fitted the outlet pipe to the l series and whether it makes much of a difference over the standard one. Thanks

Bit of an old thread i know, but i have recently fitted a Dark Ice turbo outlet pipe and yes i found it made a noticeable difference. feels like the turbo is flowing better and responded quicker.

Dave 01-01-13 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG 53 ZED (Post 290078)
Bit of an old thread i know, but i have recently fitted a Dark Ice turbo outlet pipe and yes i found it made a noticeable difference. feels like the turbo is flowing better and responded quicker.

I have to admit that the pipe does look great, but i am very skeptical about the gains claimed by dark ice. I am pretty sure, an unsquashed oe charge pipe would produce the same results.

Glad you like the pipe, but i feel the £85 or so for the pipe may have been better spent elsewhere ;)

Cheers
Dave

ZRed 02-01-13 12:19 AM

Boys it's a diesel. Built for economy from a tractor.

I just don't get the tampering??!!

ZS 02-01-13 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZRed (Post 290113)
Boys it's a diesel. Built for economy from a tractor.

I just don't get the tampering??!!

Have you ever driven a Modified Diesel? :D :chair:

Maxxed_Ross 02-01-13 07:52 AM

I have a fairly modified diesel Astra and can see the appeal to those not used to the power... but there's nothing like the roar of a petrol egine and the smell of VPower to get you going in the morning :D

Saying that, Susan's brother has a 3.0 A5 and for a diesel it sounds rather good