theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   2016 already off to a bad start (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=30460)

LukeZS96 03-01-16 07:38 PM

2016 already off to a bad start

Just landed in Dublin airport tonight and as I was driving home the temperature gauge just shot up into the red and with the heat of the engine at that stage I'm pretty sure I've cooked the headgasket so now I need a cheap runabout but I don't know what to do with the ZS in the meantime. I can't sell it because I would be lucky to get 100 quid for it, scrap value is way too low and I don't have the space nor the time to break it.

Sent from my VF-795 using Tapatalk

john180 04-01-16 08:51 AM

That's not good :( hope you work something out.

peterzs 04-01-16 09:56 AM

Shame, worth looking at the gasket???

Maybe worth looking at a good mechanical one in the same colour, but bad body that you swap panels over.

Dan1971 04-01-16 11:22 AM

That is bad luck .... :console:

Dont get the "cheap runabout" thing though.

If you're talking about £300-£400 on a cheap runabout, what does that get you ? Garbage with issues I have no doubt.

Spend the same on the Zs and you have a sorted reliable proper car ....

pheelay 04-01-16 11:28 AM

Did you find the source of the problem? A coolant leak or blockage etc? Definitely try fill coolant and bleed first, ya never know, if you didn't drive too far, you might be lucky :)

LukeZS96 04-01-16 02:31 PM

Yeah I think I will just repair it, atleast I know then that it will have been done and done properly so I know the car will be reliable. It will be the weekend before I get to look at the car so I will re attach the hose, fill it with coolant and bleed it and see if all the pipes are heating up the way they should and that the heater is blowing hot so I can rule out any blockages. The thermostat was done 3 weeks ago and it was bled properly and this was the first time it overheated so I can rule out both the thermostat and an airlock as reasons for it over heating and the rad is only 18 months old so I doubt that is a reason for it but then again you never know. I will have a look the weekend and see where to go from there. Cheers lads

Dan1971 04-01-16 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeZS96 (Post 366659)
Yeah I think I will just repair it, atleast I know then that it will have been done and done properly so I know the car will be reliable. It will be the weekend before I get to look at the car so I will re attach the hose, fill it with coolant and bleed it and see if all the pipes are heating up the way they should and that the heater is blowing hot so I can rule out any blockages. The thermostat was done 3 weeks ago and it was bled properly and this was the first time it overheated so I can rule out both the thermostat and an airlock as reasons for it over heating and the rad is only 18 months old so I doubt that is a reason for it but then again you never know. I will have a look the weekend and see where to go from there. Cheers lads

Good man - good luck with it .... :group:

LukeZS96 04-01-16 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 366660)
Good man - good luck with it .... :group:

Cheers Dan, will keep everyone posted on how it goes

talkingcars 04-01-16 04:21 PM

You never know, if you caught it as the coolant went you may be lucky.

My guess is that one of the hoses you disturbed when doing the thermostat has let go.

Fingers crossed for you.

LukeZS96 04-01-16 04:39 PM

the hose that let go was the bottom hose at the coolant rail. I disconnected it at the rad so it is a possibility. I think I will just replace the hose incase the pressure build up is what caused the hose to let go and it has fatigued the rubber.