theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Saloon vs hatch (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=22693)

Steven11 18-09-12 04:08 PM

Saloon vs hatch

Afternoon all

Im still quite new to the forum so ill pick my work carefully (really dont want to offend anyone), but i need to ask. Coming from someone who has had both models i really cant see why anyone would buy the saloon. It cost slightly more new, the boot hasent got as much usable space even though it's slightly bigger. Its a heavier car, and lets be honest (the spoiler) bit of an Evo rip off if we're all going to be honest.

Being a hatch driver i keep noticing we digs at hatch drivers here and there, ive managed to bite my lip long enough and feel its time to deffend my hatch. I have also noticed when people are asking about what to buy most people recommend the saloon. Dont get it. Dont get me wrong i love all things MG and im not slagging the Saloon. Just think the hatch is a much more usable car. Ide be interested to know how many of our members drive Hatches and how many drive Saloons

Any opinions or comments welcome.

POMPSKI 18-09-12 04:12 PM

Well I dont have the spoiler and agree it is a little over the top/rip off even if it does look good..... But I find the extra space very usable!

I frankly, find the saloon far better looking.

Steven11 18-09-12 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POMPSKI (Post 273057)
Well I dont have the spoiler and agree it is a little over the top/rip off even if it does look good..... But I find the extra space very usable!

I frankly, I find the saloon far better looking.

Ive got the small spoiler aswell. Defo agree makes the car look more classy.

Lukeus101 18-09-12 04:16 PM

Ive had both models too and I much prefer my hatch, much more visibility and the cabin feels more light. I still love the way the saloon looks but Id take a hatch everytime :)

waynester 18-09-12 04:20 PM

Hatch man here, & proud of it. :)

It's not that I dislike the saloon, I quite like it.. I just prefer the shape & convenience of the hatchback. After all, it also fits the 'Hot Hatch' nomenclature.

My last point is that I had a 5 series E39 BMW saloon for the last few years, so I really wanted something different.

Peace MG brothers... :flowers:

Fred68 18-09-12 04:23 PM

I like the look of the saloon but only if it has the extreme spoiler!! From the side it looks better imo. There is no question the hatch is more practical but it just doesn't look as good, again imo.

Smokey 18-09-12 04:39 PM

I have chosen hatch every time, I would only ever consider a yellow mk2 hatch for some reason!

Purely looks, I love the big look and the big spoiler, especially with the mk2 body kit. I never need more space than the saloon boot provides.

It's all down to personal taste, that's why they made both!

kev mocko 18-09-12 04:39 PM

Ive had two hatches and now got the saloon,and i found the hatch handled better for me now i have a saloon i can feel the difference,but on looks it was the big spoiler made me want a saloon as i like them with the extreme spoiler,but i loved my hatches with having the dog

KirkJames 18-09-12 04:43 PM

Doesn't look as good imo, unless its a mk2 hatch. I never have a go at anyone with a hatch as its what you prefer and if that works for you then thats great. Generally this is a friendly forum and I haven't seen any animosity toward hatch drivers. We are here for the badge!

WalkerDnB 18-09-12 04:57 PM

The zs is only a toy for me so practicality isnt important
I just think the saloon looks nicer and I love looking in the rear view and seeing that big spoiler :D

though to be honest after seeing some of the hatches on here im starting to like them :)