theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Had a bump :( (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=14772)

mattie007 01-12-10 09:52 PM

Had a bump :(

Managed to get to Nottingham last night for a gig, but as we were leaving the car park at around 1am the car lost control at about 10mph and bumped straight into a curve.
I got straight out to have a look but there was no sign of damage to the wheel or tyre.
However, the steering wheel is at about 45 degrees to the right for straight on and the steering wheel has also been pushed up about 10cms.
Any idea what the damage could be and if its going to be costly?

Its now sorned and if its going to be too much I will have to sell it :(

Phate 01-12-10 10:53 PM

Apart from being 45 degrees out on the steering wheel does it drive ok?

mattie007 01-12-10 11:01 PM

It felt a bit strange at first, but im sure that was down to the icy roads.
I managed to drive it 80 miles home so im hoping the damage isnt severe. Seemed to be more 'fidgety' over bumpier roads though. Again, this could be me not being used to the steering wheel position.

MG ZS STE 01-12-10 11:30 PM

sounds like you may have bent one of the TRE's. can you get it to a garage and get them to have a look? might not be as serious as your dreading it. i was quoted ?40 for a new TRE but it turned out the nugget that tracked it haddent done it back up properly.

peterzs 02-12-10 08:50 AM

Think I would get it tracked up first and see if that throws up any probs.

Hope its only that and nothing bent, clipped a kerb with my one the other day, so got it tracked up and seems OK.

Blamed a pot hole, as it was only about a week after new tyres and tracking!!!!

If it was mega bucks, could you claim off your insurance, know it would cost excess, but if your protected NCB, shouldnt affect claims record too much. With all the snow about bet there will be plenty of claims going on.

:smile1::smile1:

Southside_ZS 02-12-10 05:26 PM

I dont understand what you mean that the steering wheel has pushed up around 10cm? Have you knocked the rake adjustment? Just pull the lever down to the left of the steering column and push it back down into place.

mattie007 02-12-10 08:39 PM

What used to be the highest setting is now the lowest. So the highest setting is like driving a lorry!

Paddyniknak 03-12-10 10:10 AM

sounds like u could have bent the steering rack or maybe a bottom arm bent this could affect it too best thing to do is get under it and have a look for sure but there the chances of it being them mate :(

Steves Cleenz 03-12-10 10:21 AM

i would say the bottom arm or rear engine cradle is bent, as for your steering wheel moved, then the only way this can move is if you have bent the bulkhead!!

Southside_ZS 03-12-10 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steves Cleenz (Post 182502)
i would say the bottom arm or rear engine cradle is bent, as for your steering wheel moved, then the only way this can move is if you have bent the bulkhead!!

Maybe bent the subframe? as obviously the rack is bolted to the subframe and the column's bolted to the rack so bent subframe would move the rack and column out of place. 10cm seams very excessive though.