theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The End Of Car Meets.... BY LAW!! (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=10521)

ZS 23-12-09 08:42 AM

The End Of Car Meets.... BY LAW!!

since july this year stoke on trent council has been pursuing the removal of "BOY RACERS" car meets and cruises from the site of the formal garden festival in stoke.

they now have permission to hand out various penalties to boy racers and the like in the area of the festival park. and what do i find most interesting of all.....when the police were asked about the injunction they said

“Car cruising” has been defined as a congregation of the drivers of two or more vehicles between the hours of 7pm and 7am within Festival Park. Additional rules apply.

so by that respect if we were to have a car meet at festival park it would be termed illegal.

they are expecting to extended the ban to daytime sat and sunday...........

warwickshire council has applied for summat similar and they expect to win a ruling where police can intercept a convoy of 5 or more cars they term "could be racing"

many councils across the country are expected to follow this lead

the end of the car meet as we know it?

Phate 23-12-09 08:48 AM

My understanding of that is they can only do something if you are all driving together?

stamford 23-12-09 08:54 AM

They can't implement this, how can they? So if we had a convoy of 5 ZS's how are they to say we are racing or indeed know each other? Ballcocks I say! Makes me want to do it all the more to see what is done. The world has gone daft, so how will they differentiate between modern car clubs on a run and those of say classic car clubs doing their regular trips across the countryside from point to point?

What we need is a cloaking device, at a touch of a button disappear or better still turn your car into one of these:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...s/pic1110c.jpg

Don't tend to see more than 2 off at a time do we!

I'd like to hear what our resident officers have to say on this, could be a load of tosh or the local council tarring everyone with the same brush as usual.

arwilson80 23-12-09 09:22 AM

So 2 ZS' sitting opposite each other in a 'Tesco' car park would legally be classed as a meet and could [possibly] result in some sort of fine... Seriously...? :crazy:

stamford 23-12-09 09:29 AM

Guess we are stuffed as we look like a Rover 400 and a 45!

So those that own 2 or more similar cars will get a visit then! 'looks like you are having a meet up your driveway sir, do you know that is illegal?'

arwilson80 23-12-09 09:37 AM

That's different though (i bet). It's private land.

Dan1971 23-12-09 09:40 AM

:hmmm: :police:

Got to say that I'm not surprised, although the enforcement aspect will be difficult if large numbers are involved.

We use "Dispersal Notices" effectively for dealing with groups of anti-social youths hanging around intimidating the public. This effectively means that we can move them on, by force if necessary if they are within a particular defined locality. The issue here is that a notice has to be made known publicly and the area it covers defined.

There is a term we use as "within the spirit of the legislation" which is basically using the legislation in circumstances that it was not designed for.

If a group of MG drivers met in a car park for a chat and a coffee, and this legislation was used, it would not be "within the spirit of the legislation". However, to be honest, I support it's use in respect of the mixed marque, hand-brake turn in McDonalds car park brigade on a Saturday night.

I'd be interested in the specific legislation, Act and section, being used.

stamford 23-12-09 09:40 AM

I've had two ZS's parked outside my house with another up the driveway, not uncommon for me. So what about the pub meets we organise or indeed bbq's? It won't come to anything as I cannot see how they can police it or indeed enforce such a ruling. If anything it'll provoke people into organising rallies just to **** folk off and prove a point.

stamford 23-12-09 09:47 AM

Thanks for the feedback Dan. Common sense shall prevail!

SheppeyTrio 23-12-09 09:49 AM

My god, i've got 2 in my drive, i'm gonna get nicked!!! :police: