theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Supermarket Fuel (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=22237)

Lukeus101 06-08-12 11:09 PM

Take it from me mate and independent tests, Momentum is a very good fuel :)

mattie007 06-08-12 11:19 PM

Didn't 5th gear run a test a few years back with different fuels in a high performance car and found no difference?
Then again, if folks on here are finding benefits then it must work.

KirkJames 06-08-12 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Raby (Post 267065)
Ain't shell no more...

What!! Boll0cks, I didn't know that! Need to go via a shell if I can but if not I'll stop at the Tesco on Ipswich Road in Norwich on way to Wroxham.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattie007 (Post 267090)
Didn't 5th gear run a test a few years back with different fuels in a high performance car and found no difference?
Then again, if folks on here are finding benefits then it must work.

Something works for it not to throw up my MIL light, whether people can feel it or not it must be burning cleaner or I would get the light on the dash with no cat there ;)

Each to their own.........Happy motoring people :)

guru 07-08-12 12:41 AM

My policy on putting fuel in is that I use the cheapest stuff that happens to be nearby when the needle's pointing to the red bit on the dial! :fishing:

I've run quite a variety of cars from a 1.1 205 back in the day through to my ZS's, ZT's a BMW 540i, 4l Soarer, Hilux Surf and even an MG RV8, all on the cheapest fuel (usually supermarket) and never had a problem. With some of those, the 540i most recently I did try high octane fuels and was amazed at the difference..........there simply wasn't any!

The only time I've ever had a fuel related issue was when the entire region had a contaminated batch of LPG which contained too much heavy oil or something which meant that the car would still on idle on gas. Thankfully that problem stopped when the local station refilled their tanks!

Maxxed_Ross 23-08-12 02:18 AM

I know a few people that are involved with the shell fuel labs... and after seeing the difference between even shell normal unleaded and supermarket junk i would never touch the stuff again. Plus my local tesco has been fined twice in as many years for sticking normal fuel in the 99 tank and selling it at 99 prices.

Shell or BP only for me. when running a performance car its just not worth the risk

Jay-ZS+ 23-08-12 06:39 AM

Wouldn't call the 180 a performance car though, besides soon the unleaded will be biofuel. http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=24900

Fred68 23-08-12 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay-ZS+ (Post 268958)
Wouldn't call the 180 a performance car though, besides soon the unleaded will be biofuel. http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=24900

A 180 is a performance saloon even if the engine is'nt that powerful for it's size!! It does have a capacity advantage so It's faster than Fords ST 170 by a quite a margin and that's a Hot Hatch

Jay-ZS+ 23-08-12 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred68 (Post 268995)
A 180 is a performance saloon even if the engine is'nt that powerful for it's size!! It does have a capacity advantage so It's faster than Fords ST 170 by a quite a margin and that's a Hot Hatch

Depends what you class as performance. I wouldnt call the Kv6 a performance engine, that would make the freelander a performance car! But my point was its a large engine for its power, its a lazy V6. Has a lower specific output and BMEP compared to say the ST (52.5Kw/L vs 63.75Kw/L). So its not as highly tuned to maximise its volumetric efficiency and therefore you probably wouldnt notice the difference between 95ron and 99ron. I suggest most of it is a placebo like when people say the car feels more responsive with a full tank of fuel, chances are they are using more gas as not watching the fuel gauge.

Think the engines that notice it most are highly tuned sports bike engines for example the zx6r which has have over double the zs specific output at 134.85Kw/L by producing 107bhp from a tiny 600cc engine.

I stick in what evers close when I hit the redline.

Fred68 23-08-12 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay-ZS+ (Post 268996)
Depends what you class as performance. I wouldnt call the Kv6 a performance engine, that would make the freelander a performance car! But my point was its a large engine for its power, its a lazy V6. Has a lower specific output and BMEP compared to say the ST (52.5Kw/L vs 63.75Kw/L). So its not as highly tuned to maximise its volumetric efficiency and therefore you probably wouldnt notice the difference between 95ron and 99ron. I suggest most of it is a placebo like when people say the car feels more responsive with a full tank of fuel, chances are they are using more gas as not watching the fuel gauge.

Think the engines that notice it most are highly tuned sports bike engines for example the zx6r which has have over double the zs specific output at 134.85Kw/L by producing 107bhp from a tiny 600cc engine.

I stick in what evers close when I hit the redline.

Ok. I'll go with you on that!! ;)

p_b82 23-08-12 11:26 AM

I know i run a diesel but we have cetane ratings rather than octane..

and i know for sure that i get better mialage out of bp ultimate than i do 'bog standrd fuel'

However i put in branded fuel - and top it is up with millars fuel additive. for me it gives a noticable smooth idle (once the car is warm as she hunts like anything when cold) and less smoke out the back and a few more mpg. cost wise it works out about the same as
if i were to use 'ultimate' diesel all the time.

Shell v-power diesel actuall costs me mpg - this is apaprently due to the way it is made....

As mentioned on another thread my parents had an old vaux carlton and they had nothing but problems with it at the end of it;s life with esitation and stalling - and some decent fuel cured it - ever since they i aoid supermarket fuel where possible!