theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The MOT thread (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=19848)

Dan1971 17-12-15 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grimmy (Post 366271)
....cant even drag the grey car out and use it as its mot is overdue as well.

OK to drive it direct to an mot station as I'm sure you know....might get through....

Shame mate - hope the fix doesn't cost you too much. Nice break over xmas though - enjoy!

Maxfly 17-12-15 10:09 PM

Not good Grimmy, that is the worst spot for it to start. Hope itmcan all get sorted up in time for you to get away. The less stress the better for you bud!

grimmy 17-12-15 10:34 PM

Cheers guys it does suck but it's not like it's snapping in half or anything so it can be repaired and kept going for another year which means the grey one can have as much love lavished on it as I can to keep its greatness.I only bought it to see me through the winter and then I was going to see what I want to do with it.keep it as a runner for the Mrs,track it or break it while taking goodies first.either way I have had my money's worth out of it and if I have to throw a couple of hundred at it.it's still been a bargain either way.

talkingcars 21-12-15 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 366270)
It is becoming quite common for rust in this area, especially on later cars.

Mines gonna fail on the n/s/r caliper and horn (failed relay in the BCU I think), hopefully nothing else but I'll make full use of the 10 working days, 4 weekend days and 3 bank holidays days to sort it - it gives me an excuse to get out of the house over xmas - LOL.

Didn't fail on the caliper which is strange as the hand brake is very slow to release, front pads and discs were an advisory.

It did fail on the horn
and RUST in the drivers wheel arch, I think I should laugh about this after my previous post, but I do have the MIG welder and 2 terms of C&G welding under my belt.......

It also went down on insecure exhaust (apparently a temp fix of cable ties isn't acceptable - LOL) and a leaking exhaust which is probably linked to the missing rubbers.

The last advisory was "coating on headlights but does not effect beam pattern". This is actually the usual UV damage they suffer from.

grimmy 22-12-15 05:02 PM

235 quid lighter but the car is now legal again thank god.pretty much every component to do with the rear brakes apart from the actual calipers needed replaced.but all done now.

welshone 30-01-16 10:26 AM

Another 12 month ticket for the Silver 180, no advisories today :)

talkingcars 10-02-16 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 366270)
It is becoming quite common for rust in this area, especially on later cars.

Mines gonna fail on the n/s/r caliper and horn (failed relay in the BCU I think), hopefully nothing else but I'll make full use of the 10 working days, 4 weekend days and 3 bank holidays days to sort it - it gives me an excuse to get out of the house over xmas - LOL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 366352)
Didn't fail on the caliper which is strange as the hand brake is very slow to release, front pads and discs were an advisory.

It did fail on the horn
and RUST in the drivers wheel arch, I think I should laugh about this after my previous post, but I do have the MIG welder and 2 terms of C&G welding under my belt.......

It also went down on insecure exhaust (apparently a temp fix of cable ties isn't acceptable - LOL) and a leaking exhaust which is probably linked to the missing rubbers.

The last advisory was "coating on headlights but does not effect beam pattern". This is actually the usual UV damage they suffer from.

There are traces of something else on the headlights, I guess someone refurbished and sprayed them with some lacquer but most has pealed off.

I replaced the exhaust rubbers, replaced the bolts on the cat and squared up the exhaust. Two weeks later one of the mounts from the cat has snapped at the weld!

When I checked the rust it was no more than a pin hole so until the weather gets better it's been filled and stone chipped.

It went back in today to a different garage who don't do MOTs - pass with advisories for front discs and pads (going to do them soon anyway) and failed mount on the cat (decat going back on anyway).

Next MOT is June on the F so a few months for maintenance and modifying.

stamford 10-02-16 06:41 PM

The wife's MGF failed its yearly, both front lower arms worn and corroded, headlight poor, sidelight, emissions and insecure battery.

Well got two new arms delivered, not looking forward to doing those, subframe drop apparently. Got two good headlights coming via Paul Luti. Insecure battery had a talking to and now secure! Emissions is the new cat fitted in September, so that needs replacing under warranty. Now why couldn't this happen when I was out of work for three months when I had the time!

Dan1971 10-02-16 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 367745)
The wife's MGF failed its yearly, both front lower arms worn and corroded, headlight poor, sidelight, emissions and insecure battery.

Well got two new arms delivered, not looking forward to doing those, subframe drop apparently. Got two good headlights coming via Paul Luti. Insecure battery had a talking to and now secure! Emissions is the new cat fitted in September, so that needs replacing under warranty. Now why couldn't this happen when I was out of work for three months when I had the time!

That's got dodgy back and sick time written all over it. Pay someone else to do it.

Stephen 26-02-16 11:04 PM

Both the 45 and Aurora have passed this week :)