theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   Build Projects (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Xpg 180 (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=31135)

ZS 05-04-17 01:37 PM

So, expecting it to fail I put it through the MOT today.

Surprisingly it failed on a few very minor things!

Fuel system component leaking fuel filter (7.2.3)
Nearside Rear Exhaust system not adequately supported (7.1.1)
Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)

Breaking the above down a bit:

The fuel filter is leaking at the bottom but this is a brand new part from DMGRS and the mechanic says its a defective filter, so need a new one (again!)

An exhaust rubber has obviously failed, so will find out which one I need and replace.

Meh windscreen wipers, whatever :p

It also had a few advisories:

Oil leak ()
Windscreen has damage to an area less than a 40mm circle outside zone 'A' (8.3.1d)
brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened both front (3.5.1i)
Vehicle structure has slight corrosion (6.1.A.1)
front tyres perished
rear tyres perished

So... all in all with the exception of the oil leak (will look at that as its very small one apparently) its not bad for a car thats been stood for 2 - 3 years!! All a result of standing if you ask me :group:

So, happy with that result, will pick up some halfords specials tonight and put it back in tomorrow or Friday for a clean test.

I do however need to find some way of lifting the front up as my jack doesn't go under the sills!!!

LukeZS96 05-04-17 02:20 PM

Are the fuel filters in the V6 like the 4 pot K's or are they a cartridge filter in a plastic housing? If it's like the K4's are you sure it's definitely the filter and just not the bottom bolt? I've had to fix a fair few bottom union bolts on the fuel filters in Rovers and MGs of late. I guess from over tightening

ZS 05-04-17 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeZS96 (Post 374873)
Are the fuel filters in the V6 like the 4 pot K's or are they a cartridge filter in a plastic housing? If it's like the K4's are you sure it's definitely the filter and just not the bottom bolt? I've had to fix a fair few bottom union bolts on the fuel filters in Rovers and MGs of late. I guess from over tightening

Bottom bolt?

Not sure till I get to it and have a look. I think its similar to the K4 and its possible it could be the quick release as well (in which case I will steal the one off the green car)

6282tom 05-04-17 03:34 PM

Seems a good result that, not too much to sort.

You could always jack up the car from the front jacking point if your jack doesn't fit under the sill.

Dan1971 05-04-17 06:16 PM

Not too bad.

Think I'd look to address the "...slight corrosion" issue sooner rather than later.

stamford 05-04-17 06:19 PM

That's not a bad fail all things considered Sam. I ended up buying a low level jack from machine mart, my old trusty one gave up with no spares available. You could use the OE jack first then slide the other one in after.

talkingcars 05-04-17 08:29 PM

Drive the car up onto a brick to get the jack under?

ZS 07-04-17 10:32 PM

Actually thats not a bad idea... hmmm...

Passed the MOT now, took it out for a proper drive this evening (mrs took it to mot and back) and noticed a few things...

It has blue speedo. Completely blue, looks amazing :) but centre console is orange... so I guess I'm subscribing to project blue at some point!

Gear change is shockingly bad, can't find 5th and ever gear is a struggle to engage correctly. Noticed that the gearstick lifts up and drops down a couple of centimeters, so guess thats the issue. Probably going to rip the whole assembly off the green zs and replace on xpg one. Green one has poly bush and short shifter anyway so seems reasonable.

Found a letter in the car confirming petes insurance till feb this year... thought it was fitting to leave in car for now :)

So, Sunday will be a day of tinkering with the gear change and replacing the battery (which is shot to peices) but she is taxed, mot'd and has insurance. If gearchange is sorted this weekend then ill take her to work this week and on to POL next weekend :)

stamford 08-04-17 07:13 AM

Good news it is all road legal. Will be a good car once settled.

Dan1971 08-04-17 07:54 PM

Good news.