theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   good light weight race battery (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=30438)

redzed 27-12-15 11:06 AM

good light weight race battery

After peoples suggestions on cranking amps and what the smallest battery is that people have used in racing/track zs cars, trying to shave some kgs off the car and wondered what people have used

Mark S 27-12-15 11:24 AM

power vamp do a battery and cage for 50quid, around 7ah but lots of cranking power

redzed 27-12-15 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark S (Post 366417)
power vamp do a battery and cage for 50quid, around 7ah but lots of cranking power

got something similar at the moment with my redtop but theyre still heavy really. Hard to get info on what the minimum is i can run a zs on, its started on a jump pack anyway so just uses the battery for running not starting but hard to gauge. Theres some very nice lithium batteries out there which weigh less than half those

Mark S 27-12-15 11:52 AM

thought the power amp was around 7kg,

talkingcars 27-12-15 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redzed (Post 366418)
it's started on a jump pack anyway so just uses the battery for running not starting

don't stall out on track :closedeyes:

ZS 27-12-15 07:49 PM

i saw a battery firm at a goodwood show a few months ago, the batteries they were selling were so light it was almost unbeliveable, especially as they were proper batteries and not just capacitors... but i cant remember the name of the firm...

the other trick that some people do is replace the battery with a bank of capacitors which do the same job.

JOHNDQ 27-12-15 10:20 PM

The fuse is only rated at 150 amps so that's the max can be. I'm going for a Varley red top 20 its c.c.a (-18) is 185amps or 240 c.a and 5.4kg on my ZR. Odyssey extreme series are worth a,look to almost the same but they have a "pulse" function for a few seconds which doubles the c.c.a's. Ive seen these batteries on the MG Trophy ZR's too. I'm mounting mine where the passenger seat should be on its side but these batteries are around £100+vat and £20+ for the brackets so not cheap

redzed 28-12-15 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNDQ (Post 366441)
The fuse is only rated at 150 amps so that's the max can be. I'm going for a Varley red top 20 its c.c.a (-18) is 185amps or 240 c.a and 5.4kg on my ZR. Odyssey extreme series are worth a,look to almost the same but they have a "pulse" function for a few seconds which doubles the c.c.a's. Ive seen these batteries on the MG Trophy ZR's too. I'm mounting mine where the passenger seat should be on its side but these batteries are around £100+vat and £20+ for the brackets so not cheap

That's what I've got and where I've got it but I want lighter than that!

ZS 14-01-16 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZS (Post 366434)
i saw a battery firm at a goodwood show a few months ago, the batteries they were selling were so light it was almost unbeliveable, especially as they were proper batteries and not just capacitors... but i cant remember the name of the firm...

the other trick that some people do is replace the battery with a bank of capacitors which do the same job.

Update (incase you are interested):

The battery company was "Antigravity Batteries" their website is www.antigravitybatteries.net, they reckon they have the smallest, lightest, most powerful and compact lithium batteries available with twice the power of lead/acid batteries but in a fraction of the weight....

Don't know if its any help :)

Rockey5uk2001 14-01-16 09:03 AM

They had these batteries at the BTCC last year.

Incredible they had a battery that could start a truck. it would fit in your pocket!