theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The MOT thread (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=19848)

peterzs 13-04-12 05:08 PM

Suspect they have been told to drum up some work, just unlucky you had it all done!!!!!!!!

Jem 08-05-12 06:15 PM

And another ZS goes through without any problems. But i could well be saying it failed if the owner of the garage wasn't so nice,I thought i would sit and wait for the mot to be done,Not to long into the mot i saw this man come in chatting to the owner of the garage i heared the owner talking about mots to this guy and then heared him say he has another mot later on.

When my mot was done i was greeted with the nice words saying its passed,But then he said i could of been waiting even longer because a VOSA inspector came in and wanted to check the the mot,Lucky the owner said to him no and made a excuse saying i need to get back,If he had not said that i think VOSA would of done a fail being its a Diesel with no cat.

peterzs 08-05-12 07:58 PM

Sounds like a lucky escape, always easy to find something thats not 100%.

Still not sure if no cat would = a fail, see when my ones due.

:smile1::smile1::smile1:

Jem 08-05-12 08:07 PM

Hi Pete

I remember someone saying VOSA being very strict and as the exhaust isn't a complete system without the cat then VOSA would fail it or fine you if it was a on the road check?

Something like that.

As far as the garage mot chaps no cat is fine as its not checked,Not a word was said about the decat. Im sure VOSA would of said something.

peterzs 08-05-12 08:14 PM

When they do their audit on the garage, you get the feeling they have to find something.

Just to prove they are doing their job and have something to put on their report.

Still got my old cat, so if the worse happens I can switch it back, hopefully used s/s nuts and bolts on the decat!!!!

Jem 08-05-12 08:21 PM

Yea i still have mine so it wouldn't of been to bad,I have never heared of anyone having the car checked over by vosa awell,I guess vosa do it to make sure garages are doing it right.

Ritchy 08-05-12 08:27 PM

lucky for you, more like lucky for him, if vosa had found him passing a car that should fail hed of ended up with points and a fine:)

idge2003 08-05-12 08:46 PM

I had an MOT done last week! It failed but on simple fixes that are being done tomorrow. Also had a few advisories but nothing major again! I got away with the engine light being on as just an advisory which I was glad about because I thought it was a definite fail but apparently no official date has been set for that to come in. Also I was told the lack of a cat only becomes a problem if the car fails the emissions test!

Brett

Jem 08-05-12 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ritchy (Post 252965)
lucky for you, more like lucky for him, if vosa had found him passing a car that should fail hed of ended up with points and a fine:)

True...,Being a diesel could VOSA say anything to the garage though? As its not part of the test? I know some people on .org had sent vosa a email asking about the new rules and the cat.

(The check for a CAT only applies to petrol engined vehicles which qualify
for a full CAT test. There will be an update to the Inspection Manual in
Spring which will clarify this.)

How i understood it from someone else if vosa get involved at looking at your car then that reply goes out of the window because without a cat its not really a complete working system,And Vosa being strict they would have something to say about that,Who knows how vosa would react??

Phate 08-05-12 09:11 PM

Car flew through last week, no advisories. :)