theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Vvc (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=30466)

Rockey5uk2001 08-01-16 07:01 AM

the main difference between the 145 and the 160 is the cylinder head and valves a remap won't simply bridge the gap.

Also remapping a NASP stock engine is fairly pointless anyway as there will be fairly small gains. Would be better off with fresh fluids and a filter change.

with the VVC engines you can "Lock" the exhaust cam to a specific profile and there is some info out there on this.

JOHNDQ 08-01-16 10:18 AM

How is it possible to lock the exhaust cam when the VVC is on the intake cam?

Rockey5uk2001 08-01-16 10:36 AM

:mbounce:
Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNDQ (Post 366769)
How is it possible to lock the exhaust cam when the VVC is on the intake cam?

Indeed this is a very good question...

I meant inlet :mbounce:

for info

http://forums.mg-rover.org/mg-r-modi...t-cams-499106/

carmadbaker 08-01-16 10:54 AM

Seen as we are on the subject of variable valves engine conversions... Have always been curious why no one ever had a go at dropping a Honda k20 into a ZS? Older civics (same chassis as ZS) get k20 conversions fairly regularly, so must be off the shelf engine mounts etc. Could go even harder and drop a K24 in there! Supercharged k20 is well over 300bhp...
Only reason i saw NOT to do it was purely cost!

Dan1971 08-01-16 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmadbaker (Post 366771)
Seen as we are on the subject of variable valves engine conversions... Have always been curious why no one ever had a go at dropping a Honda k20 into a ZS? ......

Think you answered your own question there pal .... ;)

Supercharged_Z 08-01-16 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 366773)
Think you answered your own question there pal .... ;)

:joker:

George did a vvc ZS, it was ok, flew around track to be fair.

The biggest thing was how light the front end was compared to a 180.. It really had a nice precise turn in, which says as lot as i dont think the 180 is bad.

JOHNDQ 08-01-16 02:24 PM

What good would that sort of power be in a ZS tho you wouldn't be able to use it all be lost though wheel spinning :hooray:

talkingcars 08-01-16 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNDQ (Post 366760)
Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 366759)
I doubt the ZR will get mapped, it's my wifes car and she is happy with performance with no more than a loud exhaust.

I meant if you gad the 143 updated and mapped cant imagine be any real different between that and a 160

My MGF is a mk1 so runs MEMS 2.0 which isn't remappable. One would have to convert to MEMS 3 which isn't that difficult but does require some effort.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockey5uk2001 (Post 366765)
the main difference between the 145 and the 160 is the cylinder head and valves a remap won't simply bridge the gap.

Also remapping a NASP stock engine is fairly pointless anyway as there will be fairly small gains. Would be better off with fresh fluids and a filter change.

with the VVC engines you can "Lock" the exhaust cam to a specific profile and there is some info out there on this.

As above, there are some mechanical changes but there is also an updated management system.

As with any mapping, it isn't just about the headline maximum BHP, there is more drivability and the map can be written to suit any alterations within the mechanical package.

talkingcars 08-01-16 04:47 PM

Quote:

Seen as we are on the subject of variable valves engine conversions... Have always been curious why no one ever had a go at dropping a Honda k20 into a ZS? Older civics (same chassis as ZS) get k20 conversions fairly regularly, so must be off the shelf engine mounts etc. Could go even harder and drop a K24 in there! Supercharged k20 is well over 300bhp...

Dropping a Honda engine into a ZS is more than mating the engine to the gearbox, the engines are on the wrong side for a start.

Mark S 08-01-16 06:04 PM

Quote:

Could go even harder and drop a K24 in there! Supercharged k20 is well over 300bhp...
!

k24's no harder than a k20, k24 285bhp nasp!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNDQ (Post 366776)
What good would that sort of power be in a ZS tho you wouldn't be able to use it all be lost though wheel spinning :hooray:

not if the jobs done properly, granted most diy/pseudo professional attempts built with a box of 'off the shelf' shiny bits are rarely much cop, but a well designed conversion will be both tractable and drivable