theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   Build Projects (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   MG ZS 180 Mk2 - XPG Saloon. (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=24653)

stamford 31-07-13 09:23 AM

I'll need to report back later as not driven the zed with the 8js, only to and from MOT test station. Expect some more work to make me happy, did some arch rolling but the rears are no good as little give available. Really needs some fettling as mine is lower than standard but not as low as it once was! Front arch liners removed and rolled okay. Full lock I get rubbing but who doesn't?

Skillen 31-07-13 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 316015)
I'll need to report back later as not driven the zed with the 8js, only to and from MOT test station. Expect some more work to make me happy, did some arch rolling but the rears are no good as little give available. Really needs some fettling as mine is lower than standard but not as low as it once was! Front arch liners removed and rolled okay. Full lock I get rubbing but who doesn't?

I don't get rubbing on lock ;) but widening it out 20mm each side would mean it wouldn't rub on lock!

Are you running without the arch liners now then?

stamford 31-07-13 09:42 AM

Yea I took them out as they were worn from when I had 18s fitted, plus rolling the fronts meant I flattened the arch tabs. I'll look at them later to see if it is worth reverting back at some point. Not a daily driver so won't be subject to the usual road dirt but will get jetwashed in and around there frequently.

Skillen 31-07-13 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 316020)
Yea I took them out as they were worn from when I had 18s fitted, plus rolling the fronts meant I flattened the arch tabs. I'll look at them later to see if it is worth reverting back at some point. Not a daily driver so won't be subject to the usual road dirt but will get jetwashed in and around there frequently.

Well mine has a big hole currently where it came loose and wore through where it covers the washer bottle.

What does rolling actually do then?
Flatten the bit that sticks out only? Or widen as well?
Would this actually work with the mk2 kit?

Would sticking some camber arms front and back negate the need to roll?

stamford 31-07-13 12:00 PM

Rolling closes the inner lip down flat and some flaring can be achieved but requires a lot of effort. Doesn't work too well with adjacent plastic panels as it'll only reform the steel. MK2 won't work at a guess due to the arch add on sections, not sure but assuming that.

Camber kit will do the trick if you can get it set-up with optimum geometry but prepare for requiring a little more than usual and worn tyres. It'll look like most VW euro look, running on the inner edge!

petet16 31-07-13 12:34 PM

As Mick say's above if you want to roll the arches on a mk2 you'd need to remove the plastic arch extensions and refit them afterwards

Skillen 31-07-13 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petet16 (Post 316035)
As Mick say's above if you want to roll the arches on a mk2 you'd need to remove the plastic arch extensions and refit them afterwards

Which, I understand, isn't the easiest thing to do without breaking them :/

If it comes to it would a quick trim of the under areas of the plastic arches with a dremel give enough leeway to roll the arches?

It's not bad enough for it at the minute but if I lower it definitely will be.

I think it'll look cool with a bit of camber but hopefully won't need too much. Just enough for a more aggressive stance.
I could take the spacers off if lowering but it just fills them arches so much better than standard!

talkingcars 31-07-13 06:51 PM

When I had my scirroco way back before kids (eldest is now 24) I fitted slightly wider tyres (205's over 185's IIRC), these rubbed the arches on hard bumps so I ground a bit off the lip with an angle grinder, did the trick.

Skillen 31-07-13 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 316056)
When I had my scirroco way back before kids (eldest is now 24) I fitted slightly wider tyres (205's over 185's IIRC), these rubbed the arches on hard bumps so I ground a bit off the lip with an angle grinder, did the trick.

Would that not open it up to rusting though?
Rather not have that!

Dunno what in gonna do yet.

Skillen 01-08-13 01:44 AM

Whoops!

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps5bd6639d.jpg

Big dip in the road and two in the car making 30st haha!
Scrape and pop!

Luckily the little push clips hadn't broken so it went back into place easily but looks like I can get them off alright to roll arches when needed!