theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   Build Projects (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   XPG 180 update (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=31413)

mattie007 17-02-18 07:03 PM

XPG 180 update

Not been on for a while due to work commitments, but the 180 is finally going away next weekend (a year after I got her!) to have some major work done. She's been tucked up since Christmas as some of the electrics failed meaning no wipers, lights, horn, alarm, radio, lights.
As much as liked the look of the motobuild springs, i'll be upgrading to some brand new xpower eibach springs, new bushes all round, upgraded brakes and a tidy up of the bodywork and full service, cant wait to get back on the road!

peterzs 17-02-18 08:06 PM

Wow, sounds pricy, well done for sorting it out and not breaking it.

:):):)

sneekyparrot 18-02-18 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattie007 (Post 377439)
Not been on for a while due to work commitments, but the 180 is finally going away next weekend (a year after I got her!) to have some major work done. She's been tucked up since Christmas as some of the electrics failed meaning no wipers, lights, horn, alarm, radio, lights.
As much as liked the look of the motobuild springs, i'll be upgrading to some brand new xpower eibach springs, new bushes all round, upgraded brakes and a tidy up of the bodywork and full service, cant wait to get back on the road!

awesome, keep the pictures flowing.

defo right move with the springs :-))

P.

mattie007 18-02-18 03:54 PM

Shall do. Just been to give her a good wash before she goes away at the weekend. I don't think it'll cost too much, theres a list of about 20 jobs, but when done she should be as good as new. Wish I could do them myself but don't have the time or skills unfortunatly.

stamford 18-02-18 07:01 PM

Excellent! Well worth doing and the investment I say.

Dan1971 19-02-18 07:40 AM

Awesome.

Fingers crossed all goes well. What's the timescale?

mattie007 20-02-18 10:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 377451)
Excellent! Well worth doing and the investment I say.

Cheers Mick, taken a while due to work commitments but should come out even better than she is now :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 377455)
Awesome.

Fingers crossed all goes well. What's the timescale?

Going away this weekend, a chap up in Scunthorpe is collecting her then giving her the treatment. He builds race cars and restores classics so in good hands. I’m in no rush but I’d have thought back within a month. Springs arrived today 😍

Maxfly 21-02-18 06:28 PM

Lovely stuff, looking forward to the after pictures mate. Be good to hear your thoughts on how the eibachs compare too, would assume they will give a much nicer drive.
Do you think you would be able to get progress pictures at all? Always good to see work being done :)

mattie007 22-02-18 08:05 PM

I'll try to get regular updates although the car will be 100 miles away.
From speaking to others with the eibachs, they cant be compared to the motobuilds for handling and performance. I do like the way it sits now but will still be low on the new springs, plus love the green colour!

mattie007 31-03-18 08:51 PM

A few goodies purchased from Paul today, Quaife LSD and front and rear strut braces. Along with the eibach Xpower springs the car should go well when fitted. Hopefully it'll all be done for the summer.

stamford 31-03-18 10:31 PM

Sounds pretty good!

Maxfly 31-03-18 11:25 PM

Excellent stuff, some good mods there..... At the risk of ruining your bank balance further, have you thought about the lightened flywheel at all? :)

ZS Phil 01-04-18 06:21 AM

Sounds good to me, if you really want to make it come alive you need to buy the 160 box he has for sale and get the gear set fitted at the same time as your diff! Be much more expensive if you change your mind in the future.

mattie007 01-04-18 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxfly (Post 377645)
Excellent stuff, some good mods there..... At the risk of ruining your bank balance further, have you thought about the lightened flywheel at all? :)

If I can get my hands on one then maybe. Do you get big gains from it?

mattie007 01-04-18 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZS Phil (Post 377646)
Sounds good to me, if you really want to make it come alive you need to buy the 160 box he has for sale and get the gear set fitted at the same time as your diff! Be much more expensive if you change your mind in the future.

I did get a gearbox with it, not sure if it’s the 180 or 160, I’ll ask Paul. What would be the advantage?

talkingcars 02-04-18 07:44 AM

I have got a box from a TF135 in my garage, was going to sell it with the 135 ca, an ECU but if you are interested....

Same ratios as the 160.

ZS 03-04-18 09:08 PM

I have a TTV lightweight flywheel if your interested... its just sat here...

p_b82 04-04-18 07:58 AM

Sounds like things are coming along nicely.... and plenty of offers for you to spend more money ;)

mattie007 04-04-18 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 377651)
I have got a box from a TF135 in my garage, was going to sell it with the 135 ca, an ECU but if you are interested....

Same ratios as the 160.

I'll let you know, will be speaking to the builder next week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZS (Post 377660)
I have a TTV lightweight flywheel if your interested... its just sat here...

Im interested Sam, assuming it'll be quicker off the line but will lose some top end speed? What price are you looking for?

ZS 05-04-18 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattie007 (Post 377665)
Im interested Sam, assuming it'll be quicker off the line but will lose some top end speed? What price are you looking for?

I found it to have a much livelier throttle response, it transformed the car.

Only not fitted to mine as the 180 already has one fitted and is off road at the moment pending bodywork and it won't fit the T16.

Currently it has a fairly new clutch bolted to it (less than 2000 miles on it) but I guess you would put a new clutch on yourself as its sensible to do so :)

As for cost. I'd rather it was used than sat here not doing anything... So PM me what you want to pay and I'm sure we can come to an agreement :trampoline:

Maxfly 05-04-18 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattie007 (Post 377647)
If I can get my hands on one then maybe. Do you get big gains from it?

I never got around to fitting it before I sold the car. Ended up selling the flywheel after the car had gone. Sam has covered what to expect from it and I believe Mick also has good words for fitting one! :)

mattie007 02-06-18 07:17 PM

Just a quick update... due to a number of reasons and a house move unfortunately the ZS will be up for sale soon. It would have been great to keep her but any spare cash I have must now go on a house and that means selling the ZS. A tough decision, but a first house move is essential and it all happened so fast. If I could store her somewhere and go back in a few years that would be great, but I feel she should be out there on the road, not gathering dust!

I'm gutted as I have loved the car for the year and a half I've owned her and apart a small glitch after picking her up, she's been great :) Had a great run down the A1 the other day, the sound and acceleration is stunning. I will never tire of that V6 as it bursts into life. Ive spent nearly as much again in that time on parts, servicing and MOT's but worth every penny.
If anyone is interested then let me know before eBay calls.
MOT is due in August so will try and sell before then and a friend who has a lotus and caterham track car is potentially having some of the performance parts I bought so will go to good use! Shouldn't have too much of a problem shifting the eibach springs and strut braces.

stamford 02-06-18 07:26 PM

Shame but fully understand the reasons for doing so. I too had to sell a car to make a house move, hated it and still regret it today. It was my rare HSX Chevette twin cam I had at the time. I would love that zed back but I must stick with my faithful mk1! I have enough to do as it is.

Good luck and it will sell easily.

mattie007 02-06-18 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 377978)
Shame but fully understand the reasons for doing so. I too had to sell a car to make a house move, hated it and still regret it today. It was my rare HSX Chevette twin cam I had at the time. I would love that zed back but I must stick with my faithful mk1! I have enough to do as it is.

Good luck and it will sell easily.

Thanks Mick, I hope it goes to a enthusiast as its a superb car.
At 33, I need my own place and if I don't jump now then I could be renting forever. I'll regret it as soon as it goes as these are future classics and only appreciating in value. For a V6, its relatively cheap to run. Tax and insurance is only around 40 quid a month but maintenance and fuel would cripple me for the next few years, money that needs to go on a house.

Dan1971 03-06-18 01:37 PM

Wow - Didn't see that coming.

Hadn't you just sent it away to get a load of work done ... ?

p_b82 04-06-18 10:54 AM

Sorry you've got to sell up - good luck with the house move/purchase!

peterzs 04-06-18 03:53 PM

shame but needs must.

mattie007 12-06-18 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 377981)
Wow - Didn't see that coming.

Hadn't you just sent it away to get a load of work done ... ?

It was on the verge of having work done, but unfortunately not now. Just wish I could keep it stored somewhere for a few years.

mattie007 07-10-18 12:55 PM

Now for sale, would love it to go to an enthusiast on here.
MOT passed last month :)

peterzs 07-10-18 01:39 PM

shame, good luck.

Dan1971 07-10-18 02:53 PM

I gave my TF a couple of runs on ebay but no interest - shame coz I'd have been in for it if it had sold.

stamford 07-10-18 06:34 PM

Wish I had kept it!

Got enough to do as it is now, too many cars, too many needing work!

mattie007 14-10-18 01:17 PM

Well I'm open to offers!
Its too good to break and too good to strip for track so would like it go to an enthusiast

p_b82 16-10-18 11:30 AM

If I had more drive space I'd probably grab this off you - but alas I can't and being honest I'm not sure it would get the use it deserves given the other car I have on the drive (and the other ZS that should be but isn't!)

I'm guessing your new place doesn't have a garage?

just wondering really on the options of low mileage policy and sorn'ing it for 6 months etc to avoid you needing to move it on...

mattie007 20-10-18 08:42 AM

No garage I’m afraid and with 2 other cars and a bike, space is tight.
Would love a double garage and a drive!

mattie007 30-10-18 11:01 PM

Bit of a stinker this week, clutch failed on the MG3 so gave the ZT a run to work. Just as I pulled up, steam everywhere, recovered back home for the second time in 2 days. Despite the freezing temps, only option was to fire up the bike, but nothing. Called the AA, alternators gone. So, last option was to go and get the ZS from under the covers, started first time! So looks like I’ll be hanging on to it for a while yet, sorry Mick! ZT is probably beyond repair at 125k, too cold for the bike and my nearest MG garage is 50 miles away for warranty work, so need to find a way to get it over there. People having been waiting months for clutch parts on the MG3 so don’t think I’ll be back in it anytime soon. Luckily I still have a month left on the warranty so should be covered. What a crappy start to the week though! ZS did me proud, forgot how good it was to drive.

peterzs 31-10-18 09:47 AM

Good old ZS, sorry for your other troubles.

Saw my first MG3 on the road near us, in fact the first new MG I have ever noticed.

Didn't know they had clutch problems, will you get a loan car from MG if they cannot mend it?? Would have thought the warranty would cover it.

Funny how they know just when the worse time to all break down!!!

Good luck with them .

mattie007 14-11-18 07:29 PM

The 3 is now sorted under warranty, it was small pipe that had split so no drama. Had its first MOT and passed first time so pretty pleased overall. They also fixed a rattle in the door and a leaky door seal. 4 new tyres as they had covered nearly 55k! Its a decent little car to be fair, especially for the price.
The ZS has been running well, gave it a full service, front bearings replaced, exhaust bracket rewelded and auto electrician has sorted the flat battery issue. Battery was fine, something inside (believed to be a USB socket in the glove compartment was flattening it. So I am going to keep her and get rid of the ZT :)

Dan1971 14-11-18 09:04 PM

Good decision... :happy:

peterzs 15-11-18 09:11 AM

Glad it all worked out well

ZS power