theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   So What Do We Do For A Job? (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=192)

stamford 12-07-07 09:41 PM

So What Do We Do For A Job?

Always interests me what sort of cross section of people we have on these forums and what we do for a living...............there's always I.T. gods somewhere!

Me................well............I'm of the old school, however I had to succumb to using a PC everyday.

I'm a time-served Toolmaker by trade, started in the Aerospace industry when it was space and defence back in '81.

Worked for a race team building and developing race bikes for all classes up to 750 Superbikes and Isle of Man TT races. Also did R&D work on BTCC back in the early 90's.

I'm also a qualified engineer, a Master of Science they say! Not bad for a metal maggot!

Progressed as a development engineer working on process automation equipment and robotics. Then became a design engineer designing airbag assembly cells and nuclear de-commissioning robots.

Currently the Engineering Project Manager for a company based in Aldershot, here where I'm responsible for the design and project management of their automated welding machines, we are talking biggies that can weld forge dies at around 10tons and large steel rolls up to 4 metres in diameter!

StevieA ZS120 12-07-07 09:48 PM

im a ramp operations supervisor for aviance at edinburgh airport
basically im in charge of the planes turnaround from the amount of bags going on to dangerous chemicals, live animals, fire arms ,ammo,
taking bags off of the plane and making sure they go to the reclaim belts in plenty time, then there is the security side of it and the safety side of it, right down to pushing the aircraft and positioning it in the taxi way

stamford 12-07-07 09:51 PM

Impressive Stevie, alot of responsibility there, you must enjoy that.

sduk 12-07-07 09:57 PM

i work for the government :D

stamford 12-07-07 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sduk (Post 1647)

Okay...............are we MIB then?

cjsale 12-07-07 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sduk (Post 1647)

007 style....:D

I work in the ATM industry, we install, remove, renovate, repair in the field etc. Also do a bit of Freight Forwarding as well, worked in Freight forwarding for 20 odd years (7 years with my own company) before moving into the ATM industry..

StevieA ZS120 12-07-07 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 1644)
Impressive Stevie, alot of responsibility there, you must enjoy that.

its interesting to say the least especialy with all these terrorist threats going on its only a matter of time before we get hit its like any job tho after a while it becomes routine you have good days and bad days plus with the wet summer we are having its not much fun just now:rant:

sduk 12-07-07 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 1649)
Okay...............are we MIB then?

no but peoples opinion of me changes when they find out the truth :weep:

StevieA ZS120 12-07-07 10:13 PM

oink oink

hob 12-07-07 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sduk (Post 1653)

Sandwich inspector?

sduk 12-07-07 10:15 PM

exactly! :D have been called worse :)

StevieA ZS120 12-07-07 10:18 PM

i can imagine mate still its not a job to be embarrassed about i still would concider joining the force as you guys do have a huge responsibility and regardless of being called all the names that you do get called are still respected as you have a lot of **** tasks like dealing with deaths and stuff

Z Scotland 12-07-07 10:21 PM

Quote:

You mean it's all true what they say:hmmm:

HGV class1 driver

lukiep160 12-07-07 10:22 PM

Mg rover/ Chevrolet techie here

sduk 12-07-07 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukiep160 (Post 1664)
Mg rover/ Chevrolet techie here

:bow:

MGZS55 12-07-07 11:48 PM

I'm lost with sammy's role!!

I'm currently a call centre team leader, have been for over 5 years. Before that I was a jack of all trades - whatever paid the bills. I've packed biscuits, built PC's, been a nationwide 24 hour on call courier driver, constructed fences, been a gas fitters mate - factory work etc. Settled with the call centre thing though - you meet everyone and I really enjoy it!!

al_roverMG 13-07-07 01:11 AM

i am a HM Coastguard watch officer. Have also been a HGV class 1 driver (did that for a year for something to do LOL) and before that a navigating officer on big grey things!!!

stamford 13-07-07 07:09 AM

Quote:

Right, you have pointy head!

chriszs180 13-07-07 07:42 AM

well im the executive chef of the institute of chartered accounts
we have a 70 seater resturant 30 in the bar area and we have the great hall which can sit down up to 350 people

our food is modern british and is all fine dinning and plated .
keeps me busy but am looking forward to august everone goes on holiday and we rest........

then its christmas agh................ double shifts running about from 6.30 until 11pm. god i love the festive season:mad::mad::mad:.................

john180 13-07-07 07:46 AM

IT technician lol....

Lil'Gemz 13-07-07 09:41 AM

I currently work for Abbey, well Resolution in Glasgow, its pants and handing my notice in on Monday :D Woohoo!!! Managers that cant manage and woman who cant stop being grumpy or bitchy lol So Once i'm outta there I become my own boss... I'm setting up my own business in Childminding. Had a lot of work done on the house and Craig has alot of work to do in back garden :laugh: and my dad too. Gotta have it all finished for two weeks time.

Robstar 13-07-07 10:09 AM

Work for a company called Vanguard or Premier First. IT Support.

Nothing great guys, looking for a new Job at the moment. Was a good work place to get some experience after leaving the army.

sarah 13-07-07 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil'Gemz (Post 1705)
I currently work for Abbey, well Resolution in Glasgow, its pants and handing my notice in on Monday :D Woohoo!!! Managers that cant manage and woman who cant stop being grumpy or bitchy lol So Once i'm outta there I become my own boss... I'm setting up my own business in Childminding. Had a lot of work done on the house and Craig has alot of work to do in back garden :laugh: and my dad too. Gotta have it all finished for two weeks time.

hi hun.
ive been ddoing childcare for 4 years now and i enjoy it, its so rewarding and the attitude of the kids is different everyday. i started off as a teaching assistant and now im working for my nvql3 in nursery nursing, but in the school holidays i child mind for parents from the school.

good luck with your business

TurboZed 13-07-07 11:11 AM

I'm a part time Carer (my wife who is disabled), part time game developer, part time mechanic (when I can be bothered!)
Jim

Stevedx 13-07-07 12:14 PM

Bus/Coach Driver:chop:

RalphG 13-07-07 12:20 PM

I run an XPart AutoService Centre in Kent. However, I used to be in IT - I worked in support for a programming language as the troubleshooter.

Lil'Gemz 13-07-07 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahTT (Post 1717)
hi hun.
ive been ddoing childcare for 4 years now and i enjoy it, its so rewarding and the attitude of the kids is different everyday. i started off as a teaching assistant and now im working for my nvql3 in nursery nursing, but in the school holidays i child mind for parents from the school.

good luck with your business

Yea I know, I cant wait to get started and being my own boss aswell.....gonna be brave and try to do my own accounts too...dont wanna pay an accountant if I can do it myself. My mate is an accountant so gonna see if he cant help me with the ins and outs....lol

Good luck with you NVQ

Maxxed_Ross 13-07-07 03:28 PM

I was until recently a mechanical technician on board this beast, I'm about to go work on a Shell platform at the end of the month...

being built in El Ferrol, Spain

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ptain/tex5.jpg

being launched

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ptain/tex2.jpg

Offloading to a shuttle tanker

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...PSO20Large.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ptain/tex7.jpg

the view from the accommodation roof

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/Captain1.jpg

and the rig next to the FPSO

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ptain/WPP1.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/CIMG1712.jpg

Well here's the breakdown for all of you who are still confused.

I work on the Captian FPSO, block 13/22a of the North Sea. It's about 150 miles from land. FPSO mean Floating Production, Storage & Offloading facility.

Basically the rig next to the FPSO drills for the oil and then processes it to get most of the gas out. It then comes over by pipe to the FPSO's turret (the big round green thing in the pics) This is anchored to the seabed and never moves. The boat can turn around this so that it's always facing into the weather to make life and production a bit easier as it's more stable.

It get's produced through all the gubbins in the middle (it's complicated so won't go into that) and then goes into tanks in the hull, much like an oil tanker. When the tanks get full an oil tanker comes up behind us and the oil gets pumped over to it and it all starts again.

The accommodation is the big white bit at the front with the heli-pad ontop

Some people think it's weird that I can get from my bed to my desk in about 30 seconds lol

So anyway there it is... any questions just ask

oh and here are some pics of the Rig being put together... these are some big-*** cranes! For a rough idea of size the big yellow "CAPTAIN WPP" sign is roughly the size of two double-decker busses parked end-to-end

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ptain/tex6.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ptain/tex1.jpg

You might well remember this rig, because in 1996 the very top of it hit the Erskine Bridge outside Glasgow, oops!

stamford 13-07-07 05:04 PM

That's impressive! Proper engineering, I can relate to that!

So, what shifts do you do then?

Maxxed_Ross 13-07-07 11:34 PM

I was on 2 off 3 but no idea about the new place yet... more than likely 2 and 2

Steves Cleenz 13-07-07 11:37 PM

I run my own valeting business www.stevescleenz.co.uk

arwilson80 14-07-07 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil'Gemz (Post 1747)
My mate is an accountant so gonna see if he cant help me with the ins and outs....lol

Dad does all the accounts for his brothers small business and then the Accountant just checks it over. I'm sure you could do it no problem.

As for me I'm a software tester for a company in Belfast which is owned by a very large US insurance company. Currently working on a project which is being rolled out in phases to about 40,000 users.

Boot Hill Bandit 15-07-07 07:02 AM

I'm a carpenter as well as dealing in karting parts..........but then again I need a career change soon and who knows where it will take me.

Jim

TurboZed 15-07-07 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boot Hill Bandit (Post 1965)
I'm a carpenter as well as dealing in karting parts..........but then again I need a career change soon and who knows where it will take me.

Jim

Post whoring?:rofl::yay::tease:
sorry!

Boot Hill Bandit 15-07-07 02:51 PM

:slap: well..........I can't really find a position in that :crazy: closest term to that is whore but I'm not that either :hmm: so guess I will have to keep looking :tease:

Mephiston_2k 16-07-07 10:45 AM

Im an emissions tester at Gaydon, for Land Rover/Jag and Aston Martin.
Finished the apprenticeship scheme last year, and was previously at the factory in solihull for 3 years.

stamford 16-07-07 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboZed (Post 1986)
Post whoring?:rofl::yay::tease:
sorry!

Sorry Jim but I lol'd!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boot Hill Bandit (Post 2019)
:slap: well..........I can't really find a position in that :crazy: closest term to that is whore but I'm not that either :hmm: so guess I will have to keep looking :tease:

How about gigolo?....................pays well.................apparently!

Matto 180 16-07-07 12:38 PM

Marketing Director

stamford 16-07-07 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matto 180 (Post 2199)
Marketing Director

Those that leave it that short must hiding something! :fishing:

There must be more to it than that!

Glen290 16-07-07 01:05 PM

Im an Industrial Performance manager for Nestle, also cover the IT role here too..:weakbench: