theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   External temp sensor help needed!!!??? (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=27150)

jonnybriggs69 12-01-14 10:09 PM

External temp sensor help needed!!!???

Hi all,

Basically I've bought a mk2 180. It would seem that a previous owner had binned it into a field and had it badly repaired. I've just replaced the front bumper with the correct one, as some clown had put a standard zs bumper on it......

The problem I have is with the aircon. I have an e4 error code. From reading up on the various forums it seems that the problem is with the exterior ambient temp sensor usually located inside the front bumper. ........ The problem is that there isn't one there..... I have the sensor from the new proper bumper - thanks Mark.... But we couldn't see or find we're it actually plugs in in to the wiring loom......

Could someone give a detailed description of we're it needs to connect to the loom... A photo would be great if anyone has a bumper off!!!

Any relevant help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

talkingcars 12-01-14 10:12 PM

It fits on a bracket behind the nearside foglight, the plug should be there somewhere.

jonnybriggs69 12-01-14 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 329514)
It fits on a bracket behind the nearside foglight, the plug should be there somewhere.

I know that the sensor fits to clips to the bumper ~ the question is where does the other end of the sensor attach to the wiring loom?.... there is a possibility that the "mechanic" that did the work may have cut the cable off - so i need to know where it should be.....

Maxfly 13-01-14 06:54 AM

Not a 100% but I think it runs down with the fog light wiring........not paid a great deal of attention to it when I have had bumpers off but can't remember too many wires hanging about in that area.

andys1981 13-01-14 06:57 AM

when i had took the bumper off mines,i hadnt clipped it back in properly and was getting the e4 code,had another look and located it properly,then the code went off,the loom will be behind the passengers foglight,as james said,along with the wiring for the horn.

Jason04r 13-01-14 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andys1981 (Post 329532)
when i had took the bumper off mines,i hadnt clipped it back in properly and was getting the e4 code,had another look and located it properly,then the code went off,the loom will be behind the passengers foglight,as james said,along with the wiring for the horn.

+1 on this.. same thing happened to me

jonnybriggs69 13-01-14 08:39 AM

Cheers guys.......

I know that it is in the general area and have obviously spent some time looking for where it should go to no avail.

As I said - I think that someone may have the plug off of the loom. I'm really in need of a technical answer....

petet16 13-01-14 08:47 AM

If the plug or cut off wiring isn't obviously visible you'll end up needing to un bundle the loom in the area of the horn/rh front fog to find the cut wiring, I don't see any other solution tbh.

jonnybriggs69 13-01-14 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petet16 (Post 329543)
If the plug or cut off wiring isn't obviously visible you'll end up needing to un bundle the loom in the area of the horn/rh front fog to find the cut wiring, I don't see any other solution tbh.

Thanks Pete. I agree - that will probably be the course of action needed. I'm hoping that someone may be able to tell me what wire I will need to find - colour/location etc.....

There seems to be nothing in Haynes manual - so need someone knowledgeable on the subject!

Smokey 13-01-14 09:34 AM

I can answer this tomorrow as I am replacing my sensor, weather permitting!