theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   HELP.....the zeds dead (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=26388)

pb25 16-09-13 03:16 PM

HELP.....the zeds dead

I'm having a f'ing nightmere today. Get a call from the school as my youngest son is spewing so leave work jump in the pug which had decided to let water in (again) frying the electrics.....managed to nurse it home with wipers going off on there own, all dash lights on etc.

Jump in the zed to get back to work and collect middle son and the battery was flat so put it on charge for 30 mins. Car started and set off, went about 15 miles and the car just cut out. No lights, nothing. When I try and start it the starter motor just makes a high pitch whirring noise but doesnt feel like its trying. Rang the AA and they have said 2 hours even though I'm only 5 miles from the garage.

If the battery is low would the starter motor make this noise? Had a quick look under the bonnet and nothing obvious, belts are still on, have 1/2 a tank of fuel.

Anyone any ideas?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

petet16 16-09-13 03:24 PM

It could be a failed alternator.

Maxfly 16-09-13 03:47 PM

I would also go with alternator initially, get a volt reading from terminals and see what it say:)

pb25 16-09-13 03:56 PM

The battery light didnt come on but will test the alternator when i get recovered. The garge will be here in the next 30 mins with a power pack and a new battery so we'll see if it is that......2 cars in one day :-(

pb25 16-09-13 03:56 PM

Thanks for the replies

Maxfly 16-09-13 03:59 PM

Once on the green ZS it wouldn't start and had same high pitches whirring noise as you describe. It turned out to be badly gapped spark plugs and the way to get it started was to plant accelerator to floor and crank away. Sparks were not giving good enough spark to ignite fuel so engine basically flooded and needed plenty air to get burnt hence planting accelerator!

ZS 16-09-13 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxfly (Post 320879)
Once on the green ZS it wouldn't start and had same high pitches whirring noise as you describe. It turned out to be badly gapped spark plugs and the way to get it started was to plant accelerator to floor and crank away. Sparks were not giving good enough spark to ignite fuel so engine basically flooded and needed plenty air to get burnt hence planting accelerator!

Isnt pb`s zs a diesel though?

pb25 16-09-13 05:23 PM

3 words.....timing + belt + snapped :-( :-( :-(

petet16 16-09-13 05:27 PM

Deep gloom:sad:

Dan1971 16-09-13 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb25 (Post 320885)
3 words.....timing + belt + snapped :-( :-( :-(

Merd ..... :drunk: