theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   Cars Wanted (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Mk2 1.6 or 1.8 hatch (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=31451)

Dan1971 11-05-18 07:51 PM

Mk2 1.6 or 1.8 hatch

Anyone looking to move one on - looking out for one for my boy to learn in .... ?

peterzs 11-05-18 11:05 PM

wouldn't a ZR be better.

Not that I've been in a ZR, but the ZS is a bigger!!

talkingcars 11-05-18 11:24 PM

I expect a ZS to be cheaper to insure than a ZR.

And the slightly larger car is no harder to drive if you have the confidence.

Dan1971 12-05-18 07:08 AM

We want a slightly bigger car for him. Feels a bit safer and he's a bit taller than me already -6'4 and I remember a ZR being a bit tighter when I sat in one in a showroom many moons ago ....

Don't get me wrong - it'll just be for him to learn in before he goes his own way and buys his own car if he wants something different to an ageing MG. He's a great lad though and if he feels comfortable in it, he'll probably keep it until it dies.

He's nothing like me at all ... ;)

peterzs 12-05-18 11:00 AM

Good point.

Good luck to him.

JOHNDQ 13-05-18 10:25 AM

Wouldn't a 45 or 25 be better to be fair to learn in? I'm sure there be a few jokes but the Z cars do have high insurance classes

p_b82 13-05-18 11:24 AM

I'm 6'4 and I used to drive the little R25 when Matt had it and the ZS was on holiday, the seat goes far enough back that my knees rubbed the same on the wheel as they do in the zs. Seat is all the way back and on the floor for me in the ZS too.

So space in the smaller cars should not be too much of an issue - I'm guessing a R25 can be found much cheaper, and with a 1.4 that'll also help insurance.

My 58 plate fester had more leg room than the ZS in all honesty.

the only minor concern i'd raise for learning in a ZS is the appalling turning circle relative to most things... the mustang has only a meter wider turning circle and it is a much bigger and wider car!

talkingcars 13-05-18 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p_b82 (Post 377855)
the only minor concern i'd raise for learning in a ZS is the appalling turning circle relative to most things... the mustang has only a meter wider turning circle and it is a much bigger and wider car!

I hadn't noticed how bad it was until I got the Alfa 159, I now look at situations and think "I can do that in one".

Dan1971 13-05-18 05:11 PM

He's been looking today at various MGs and Rovers and he actually wants a TF ! Insurance in his name with me and the Mrs named on there - not black box policy ;) - only £450.

Had it not been for corrosion reported on previous MOTs, he came close to buying a sunspot one .... phew !

peterzs 13-05-18 08:40 PM

Love sunspot.

Still time to go back, just a bit of anti-rust paint required on the subframe, sorted.

:bow::bow::bow:

talkingcars 13-05-18 08:54 PM

The most common area for rust at MOT time are the subframe mounts which are almost service items.

Dan1971 15-05-18 08:02 AM

Well - quite a way along the line towards a black, very low mileage, good provenence TF135. Good mechanical history but needs some cosmetic work apparently - mainly due to it being a "London" car - whatever that means. Collecting my boy early from 6th form as he has a free at the end of his day tomorrow to go and check it over, but unless it's in a bad way, it'll likely be here by the weekend.

Has brake and alloy(quite badly scuffed) upgrade with alcantara and factory black hardtop with protective case.

Ebay is terrible though and my tinkering gene has kicked in good and proper already and we've not even got it yet. An auction for a brand new set of 4 black, original 16" alloys was ending at £123 last night so stuck in a cheeky bid and stole them really so the car when it arrives will be treated to a nice set of brand spanking alloys. Will ensure it's got decent tyres to swap over or I'll get new ones, then badges, then .... then .... then .... ;)

peterzs 15-05-18 12:06 PM

sounds good.

go for a long test drive if you can to make sure its not overheating. No mayo on the dipstick or under the cap.

Also check the clutch and gearbox all work as they should, The clutch release arm can corrode and get stiff.

Front subframe mounts brake pipes subframes for rust.

But I expect you know all that, good luck hope its a good one.

Can you check on the MOT past history, normally a good guide whats going on.

:):):)

Dan1971 15-05-18 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterzs (Post 377887)
sounds good.

go for a long test drive if you can to make sure its not overheating. No mayo on the dipstick or under the cap.

Also check the clutch and gearbox all work as they should, The clutch release arm can corrode and get stiff.

Front subframe mounts brake pipes subframes for rust.

But I expect you know all that, good luck hope its a good one.

Can you check on the MOT past history, normally a good guide whats going on.

Yep - Thanks Pete. The mayo thing was on my to do list, but it has had the new uprated gaskets fitted recently with a receipt for £1300 for the work done which also included fitting a new window in the hood.

I've had a look on-line at a few and where the reg is visible, done checks on the MOT history. That is how I managed to talk him out of the sunspot one as it has a few mentions of various areas of corrosion that I just thought - nah not for us thanks.

The one we are looking at only had an advisory last year of some corrosion on one of the rear brake discs. No other areas of concern historically apart from tyre wear and the lights pointing in the wrong direction !

I'll try to go in with a critical eye, but I am just looking forward to going to look at a car with my son. If he likes it, we'll be bringing it home.

RudeDogg1 15-05-18 10:06 PM

I have a mk1 1.8 saloon for sale if of interest

Dan1971 15-05-18 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RudeDogg1 (Post 377891)
I have a mk1 1.8 saloon for sale if of interest

See how it goes with the TF tomorrow.

peterzs 16-05-18 10:41 AM

and All the belts hopefully were done at the CHG repairs, for £1300 I'd hope so.

Good Luck.

Dan1971 16-05-18 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterzs (Post 377894)
and All the belts hopefully were done at the CHG repairs, for £1300 I'd hope so.

Good Luck.

Receipt reads ;

Head gasket set £195, head bolts £38, head skim £65, antifreeze, oil and oil filter, timing belt kit £45, water pump, air filter and a rear window £195 - Totalled at £1479.

peterzs 16-05-18 01:06 PM

wow, seeing some are going for £500, this one seems a bargain.

All down to how it drives and goes .

Good luck with it.

Dan1971 16-05-18 09:13 PM

Well - Bodywork was shocking to be honest - confident that's why he never even cleaned it. :no:

As it was - it struggled to start then he booted it and a massive plume of black smoke belched out before it ran for about 3 seconds and conked out.

We left - got a text later saying that he had mistakenly put diesel in it instead of unleaded - :no:

Anyway - not for us. Shame - advert read well and it had good provenence as I mentioned, but I guess you just never know until you pitch up and have a look.

I really don't understand how people would expect to sell a car when it's presented like that ..... :no:

Rudedog - he far prefers the Mk2 I'm afraid - sorry

p_b82 17-05-18 08:18 AM

That doesn't sound like it was a very worthwhile trip at all then... hope you find something better soon!

I thought that TF's had the "wrong fuel" filler necks on them - EG you can't physically put diesel in the tank? or didn't MGR have that - It's been too long since I needed to put petrol in an MGR I can't remember.

Dan1971 17-05-18 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p_b82 (Post 377900)
That doesn't sound like it was a very worthwhile trip at all then... hope you find something better soon!

I thought that TF's had the "wrong fuel" filler necks on them - EG you can't physically put diesel in the tank? or didn't MGR have that - It's been too long since I needed to put petrol in an MGR I can't remember.

Filled/topped up from a jerry can apparently .... :no:

peterzs 17-05-18 05:31 PM

Shame, what a waste of time, there will be one out there.

Dan1971 19-05-18 01:23 PM

Sorted ... ;)

V6 ....

stamford 19-05-18 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 377907)
Sorted ... ;)

V6 ....

For who? :shifty:

Dan1971 19-05-18 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 377909)
For who? :shifty:

For him to learn in ofcourse .... :shifty:

£169 for 3 months for him to have his own policy - only while he's learning mind you....

peterzs 19-05-18 07:36 PM

sounds a plan :-)

stamford 19-05-18 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 377912)
For him to learn in ofcourse .... :shifty:

£169 for 3 months for him to have his own policy - only while he's learning mind you....

Of course! :sly:

Dan1971 23-05-18 05:06 PM

I went to see it this afternoon and it needs so much more work than I expected or the seller disclosed, so I walked away.

Still looking ....

Dan1971 10-06-18 05:57 AM

Won an auction last night for a TF. Collect tomorrow so fingers crossed ....

peterzs 10-06-18 11:55 AM

good luck, keep an eye on the temperature gauge.

Dan1971 10-06-18 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterzs (Post 378019)
good luck, keep an eye on the temperature gauge.

Will do Pete - lots of history with this one - mature owner - lots of extras - pics tomorrow.

stamford 10-06-18 05:32 PM

TF eh! Didn’t the TF have a low level warning indicator for coolant? Still got them wheels Dan?

talkingcars 10-06-18 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 378021)
....Didn’t the TF have a low level warning indicator for coolant?.....

Later ones did.

talkingcars 10-06-18 06:29 PM

If you find the seats a bit high you can get lowering kits.

I think there is more info about them at www.the-t-bar.com

Dan1971 10-06-18 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 378023)
If you find the seats a bit high you can get lowering kits.

I think there is more info about them at www.the-t-bar.com

We'll see. It's had a few tweaks already. TT exhaust, Decat and K maps remap. I've seen eibachs advertised for much cheapness and its gonna be a toy, but I don't want it to be too harsh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 378021)
TF eh! Didn’t the TF have a low level warning indicator for coolant? Still got them wheels Dan?

It's an 02 so not sure. Wheels went today as its got black 16s fitted already. Decent little earner actually.

talkingcars 11-06-18 08:33 PM

Check under the coolant tank for wiring for a level sensor.

In my experience the TF doesn't benefit from a decat as there is no pre-cat in the manifold unlike most K series so the engine looses back pressure.

Dan1971 11-06-18 10:19 PM

All done now - Mirage TF bought. Thanks.