theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   Build Projects (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Reyland Zs Rebuild / Update (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=22424)

sneekyparrot 26-08-12 09:45 AM

Reyland Zs Rebuild / Update

Morning all,
Right with my house move finally all sorted and the garage 90% how i want it i thought it might be a good time to start a rebuild thread as a few of you have asked how the Reyland Zs is doing.

New Garage:
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...3E38183A02.jpg

It's quite obvious that the guy who got it after Dave did treat it with the same love and attention and just ragged the ***** out of it something which would be hard not to do tbh its a very addictive car to drive if your not into air con, music and all that comfort stuff :-)
Ross had aldready started to address some of the issue's but as far as i am concerned the only way to get it back and improve it to strip it back to the shell and start again.

I have already started to acquire the parts that i want which will push the car in the direction i want it to go.

The BTTC bodywork for the moment appears to have disappeared down a dark hole but i am hoping that my further enquirers will result in the appearance of some lighter fiberglass bonnet / wings but these are not a priority at the moment.
I have purchased and will be fitting the front windows back but this will be the only lux items that will be going back in. It just gets so warm in the car i found myself trying to direct the wind back into the car with my hand lol!

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...t/122501f9.jpg
Stack 8130 will be refitted along with the TD pro race 1.2 18" that its sitting on.

Skunk2 Lca's, whole pile of poly bushes are sitting on the parts shelf and either D2 or hardrace rear camber / toe (depending who comes back to me with the best price) are about to be purchased.

Engine:

Now here is where the fun starts. After spending many many hr's trawling the information about the Bam 20v motor i am still not 100% certain where it will end up. 1 thing for certain is it aint running right at the moment. The poor starting when hot and **** poor tickover are a sign that something is not happy. Having had a long conversation with martin and him listening to it we are going to have to dig deeper. (More Later)

Having decided that believe it or not the 300hp is not enough and having spoken to backdraft who confirmed the current k04 turbo is maxed out i began looking at a replacement GTX3071r turbo but once the costs began to spiral and further issues became apparent i have shelved this idea for the moment but i am certain once the car is sorted this will happen.

So how to improve what we have and get a little more top end.

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...3E1ACBC2CB.jpg

This is 1 of only 20 new v3 Relentless manifold and nothing like their previous much cheaper e bay specials. From the dyno results it should add another 30-40hp to the top end.

The car is due to head back to the creator :-) in 2 - 3 weeks time to try and diagnose the engine problems, it could be a duff map sensor but martin is going to run compression and leak down tests to make sure we are not looking at a duff valve etc.

New injectors and a remap will also be required so i may also replace the MBE ecu with something like the Pectel that can be setup live instead of having to tweek the map then upload then dyno run again with the current setup.
May as well run something that Martin is familiar with seeing as he is local to me and is going to be the only one setting it up.

Brakes:

Ok the car run's the brembodge setup atm with ds3000 pads. I have resurfaced the disc's and installed new pads and this has removed the shakes but whilst i dont think there is a problem with the setup i have a nagging worry. The performance of the car atm is superb but with more HP and looking to the future where i will replace the turbo and the car will be running 400-450hp i am building to the figure now. Martin is going to be replacing this setup with a Reyland setup using his disc's and calipers, he is going to have one of the wheels and squeeze the biggest's discs he can in there, this i am sure will put my mind at rest.

So in the next few weeks there will be a fully working Brembodge setup up for grabs price will be around the £400 mark and will include discs, adapters, calipers and ds3000 pads. Disc's have only covered maybe 500miles but the pads are ds3000 and provide unbelievable stopping power but they are a track pad and if you can live with the squeal that comes with gentle braking then no prob, if you cant then maybe a shift to ds2500 or similar maybe better.

First come first serve so if someone wants them then let me know and i will put your name on them, if not then e bay they go!

Thats it for now but will add more once i get the diagnosis from the doctor :-)

Paul

big_wasa 26-08-12 11:34 AM

Looks like a great thread, I look forward to plenty of updates :punk:

carmadbaker 26-08-12 01:28 PM

Awesome mate! Love it!! Cant wait to see it finished and in my rear view mirror :tease: (obviously joking! Mine never works!!!!) hopefully martin sorts the dodgy idle and its nothing serious!

Eddie 26-08-12 02:56 PM

I run thr older GT3071R and love it and as and when it gives up I will be going GTX for sure as they are great turbo's, I know a few guys running them on VAG's with great results.
Must say I'm pleased to see the car being loved again as it would be a shame to see it parted out or worse, will keep a very keen eye on this thread.

Quadcam24 26-08-12 04:59 PM

amen to my friends words above.

talkingcars 26-08-12 09:54 PM

Sounds like interesting plans.

For those who don't know the car can we have more info about it or links to previous posts?

Smokey 26-08-12 10:19 PM

Yeah, I know a bit about the car but would be nice to have all the knowledge as you are building a reeeally awesome car!

sneekyparrot 27-08-12 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 269389)
Sounds like interesting plans.

For those who don't know the car can we have more info about it or links to previous posts?

Here are a couple, 1 from orginal build and 1 from Ross's sale which lists spec etc.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=17975359

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=20880

cheers
Paul

sneekyparrot 27-08-12 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie (Post 269351)
I run thr older GT3071R and love it and as and when it gives up I will be going GTX for sure as they are great turbo's, I know a few guys running them on VAG's with great results.
Must say I'm pleased to see the car being loved again as it would be a shame to see it parted out or worse, will keep a very keen eye on this thread.

Yeah spent a while re searching different turbo's, spool times etc. The gtx3071 will produce 400hp all day without having to max out with silly boost etc. Just be happy when we know whats up with the motor, if it turns out to be a valve issue then going to look a the large port agu head.

cheers
Paul

stamford 27-08-12 06:14 PM

Pleasing to see the car in good hands still and with plenty of future plans.

Quadcam24 27-08-12 07:30 PM

it seems unreal to me, to read that my old car needs a full re build, i pampered it like a baby and it never wanted for anything....infact i was normally upgrading parts that had nothing wrong with the original ones.
I remember driving it away from the garage with 9k miles on the clock
and just a year old.
Really hope you can pull her back to A1 again.
Love that manifold, as you say theres 35 odd bhp right there and if i were you id drop the boost a couple of psi just to aid traction in the lower gears, peak power wont drop but mid range torque will have its raw edge smoothed a little.
Hope whatever problem the engine has, is an easy fix.

p_b82 28-08-12 10:41 AM

As others have said really glad to see this car is being loved once more!

I am tempted by the brembodge setup for that price - though not sure i am quite ready to fit it - and it will mean the OE wheels will not fit anymore (tho i believe they should fit under the ultraleggeras i got on there at the moment). I'll pm :)

sneekyparrot 28-08-12 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p_b82 (Post 269540)

I am tempted by the brembodge setup for that price - though not sure i am quite ready to fit it - and it will mean the OE wheels will not fit anymore (tho i believe they should fit under the ultraleggeras i got on there at the moment). I'll pm :)

PM sent Pete,

They do fit under 17 OZ superleggeras, thats what i have on at the mo :-)

cheers
Paul

sneekyparrot 28-08-12 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadcam24 (Post 269487)
it seems unreal to me, to read that my old car needs a full re build, i pampered it like a baby and it never wanted for anything....infact i was normally upgrading parts that had nothing wrong with the original ones.
I remember driving it away from the garage with 9k miles on the clock
and just a year old.
Really hope you can pull her back to A1 again.
Love that manifold, as you say theres 35 odd bhp right there and if i were you id drop the boost a couple of psi just to aid traction in the lower gears, peak power wont drop but mid range torque will have its raw edge smoothed a little.
Hope whatever problem the engine has, is an easy fix.

TBH Dave most would just run it and ignore the odd oil leak, worn suspension bushes and chopped about wiring but thats not me.
I am a bit of a perfectionist as you would see if you had seen some of the bikes i have built, i have to know every part and be certain its fit and healthy.

as you know the car has plenty of performance but i want to move it on in all areas so the best and quickest solution is just get it on the ramps and drop the motor and suspension, i can then upgrade and replace anything that needs replacing.

just cant leave all this time and investment rusty and covered in crud.

besides i will be pushing the performance and need to be 100% that everything else is up to the job.

This car has a character / attitude i love and tbh i find the majority of things with 4 wheels as boring as hell, even so called high performance cars are nowt compared to a bike ok they corner better / faster but you have to wrestle a big bike round the corners and carry the speed, get it wrong and it hurts

makes me laugh like a kid every time i strap into the VAG and let it loose on the roads. First time i drove it hard i could not work out where the squealing was coming from in 2nd gear, only to realize it was the cold tyres letting go LMAO

i dont think its a major issue as it runs fine off tickover but i am still working my way around the motor so best let martin find the problem while its down there.

gotta fix up a small water bottle thou! went out and covered the car in bug splats so on went the wipers but no fluid to help clear the screen, no prob opened the bonnet to fill at a petrol station to find there ain't one lol

Later
Paul

Dave MGT 28-08-12 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p_b82 (Post 269540)

They will fit under std wheels. You just need 3mm spacers ( hubsentric is best) their £25 off eBay. I just ordered some because I have a slight wheel wobble at high speeds, with the nasty spacers I'm using.

You wont regret doing the brembos! It's such a great mod that you feel every time you drive it, unlike some mods. Makes the std 180 brakes feel crap.

Quadcam24 28-08-12 08:07 PM

reply to post 14....great news and lol...even on hot roads with hot toyo 888's it cant (or couldnt ) lay 2nd gear, 3rd was borderline !

Eddie 29-08-12 01:21 PM

This is where boost by gear becomes your best friend (BBG),
I run both BBG (Not AVCR) via my ECU and a boost solenoid, tune the car to you desired maximum bhp then adjust the boost from 1st to 5th accordingly, I run wastage pressure (7 psi) in first then ramp up to 12 psi in second and so on.
I also run Race Logic traction control and really rate it, what the BBG can control the RL can, I average sub 6 second 0-60 mph.
Best part is, you can just turn off both of the above or have various set-ups for most driving conditions or tyres.

sneekyparrot 18-09-12 09:31 AM

Just had the results from the doc and it's not good. Seems at idle I have very poor compression in 3 cylinders 3&4 are showing 30-40% loss!

Total arse but it seems as Martin suspected the numpty who had it before Ross has abused it and prob constantly over revved it and buzzed the valves so it's a head off job.

There goes tr brakes money:/(

Picking car up later and will be stripping the motor out / head off for a proper look, seems like a good reason to go with a large port head while I am at it lol!

:-(
P.

stamford 18-09-12 09:43 AM

Sorry to hear this Paul. Things like this are common with unusual cars where previous owners have abused them. They quickly pass them on when signs of playing up are evident rather than look after them and fix them when they go wrong. At least when it is stripped and inspected it'll be done right and you'll know what has been done etc.

peterzs 18-09-12 09:44 AM

Sorry to hear, but at least its do-able, could have been worse I suppose.

With all that power on hand, think I would be guilty of spirited driving and a few revs.

Best of luck with the strip down.

Jay-ZS+ 18-09-12 10:04 AM

As you say Paul its a chance to upgrade! Least you can inspect it and will know it is all spot on when it goes back together. Always nice for piece of mind.

If you rebuild it anything like your bikes will be very nice when done!

tb steve 18-09-12 02:14 PM

gutted for ya i know how you fell mate

but just think if you thought it was quick now whats it going to be like when you get it all done :yikes:

p_b82 18-09-12 05:47 PM

that is abd news - but at least you were expecting to to an extent and it is not a complete shock...

So sad to see people with no mechanical sympathy wrecking something for the the bragging rights with the mates...

hell i dont even drive hire cars 'like i stole them' guess i am too nice :laugh:

sneekyparrot 18-09-12 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p_b82 (Post 273086)
that is abd news - but at least you were expecting to to an extent and it is not a complete shock...

So sad to see people with no mechanical sympathy wrecking something for the the bragging rights with the mates...

hell i dont even drive hire cars 'like i stole them' guess i am too nice :laugh:

Yeah tbh i was not surprised when martin suggested this maybe the problem i was kinda putting 2+2 together, was hoping it was a sensor but hey just have to deal with it.

Just got back from picking it up and had a good chat with martin, its worse than i thought. 50% loss in 2 cylinders 30 in 1 and 40 in the other which suggests at least 1 valve is shot in each cylinder. The motor revs so freely that it would be way to easy to over rev especially if its in a numpty or an animals hand.

Anyway its in the garage and thats where it will stay until i pull the motor and strip it down.
Going to dump the small port BAM head and replace it with the large port unit with some new valves, new injectors and the V3 manifold should see it close to 350hp which will keep me happy for a while.

oh the joys of modding :-)

P.

Quadcam24 18-09-12 07:15 PM

sorry to hear that, but i have to say i expected it, because going by ross's trip to santa pod and the car only pulling 109 mph top speed, i knew it was down on power ,trouble is its so quick that unless you experienced it fully healthy you would never know.
I remember at cadwell park, out on track and suddenly the car felt really really slow, i entered the straight behind a mate in his m3 evo, so proceeded to follow him down the straight and i was only just reeling him in, which i knew was way off normal pace, as usually i just pummelled him easily, i looked down at the temp gauge and it was off the scale, i found out later the water pump had failed and later h.g was diagnosed by martin, but even running sick it still did the m3 evo in a straight line.
I remember how much greater the top speeds were on tracks compared to the nasp kv6 and that would have to be the same for santa pod, ok it struggled for traction in a standing 1/4 sprint but that has very little effect on top speed.

Maxxed_Ross 18-09-12 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay-ZS+ (Post 273018)
As you say Paul its a chance to upgrade!

Oi that's my motto :laugh: V V V

Drew 18-09-12 09:29 PM

cheaper just to fit another engine?

Drew

Ritchy 18-09-12 09:34 PM

thats a kick in the teth:/ be awesome after though

sneekyparrot 19-09-12 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 273212)
cheaper just to fit another engine?

Drew

close but not quite. Bottom end is sound with uprated rods, no oil loss or smoke so unless i find a problem on the strip down it will just get balanced and re used.

although it looks cheaper to buy a complete motor than just a head!

sneekyparrot 19-09-12 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadcam24 (Post 273115)
sorry to hear that, but i have to say i expected it, because going by ross's trip to santa pod and the car only pulling 109 mph top speed, i knew it was down on power ,trouble is its so quick that unless you experienced it fully healthy you would never know.
I remember at cadwell park, out on track and suddenly the car felt really really slow, i entered the straight behind a mate in his m3 evo, so proceeded to follow him down the straight and i was only just reeling him in, which i knew was way off normal pace, as usually i just pummelled him easily, i looked down at the temp gauge and it was off the scale, i found out later the water pump had failed and later h.g was diagnosed by martin, but even running sick it still did the m3 evo in a straight line.
I remember how much greater the top speeds were on tracks compared to the nasp kv6 and that would have to be the same for santa pod, ok it struggled for traction in a standing 1/4 sprint but that has very little effect on top speed.

that was the problem to start with Dave!
but i new straight away something was wrong with the idle and unless it had race cams it should have idled way better, i may have spent most of my time with bike motors but all of them have been modified and run power commanders or full 3d map systems so new it was not a result of a stand alone even without an idle valve.

the car is quick like bike quick so it was only after a few hrs in the car that really swung it for me, well that and the fact i could not find the source of my concerns!

mid range great but top end wheezy and bottom off idle was getting worse, oil leaks, water leaks, electrics all over the place. It was time to send it to its maker for a full diag.

At least i know what the prob is now and i will address it so watch this space ;-)

hey be good to meet up a donny when its done and see if you think the upgrades have improved it? Traction could be fun with the extra hp thou!

:thumbsup:

P.

Jay-ZS+ 19-09-12 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxxed_Ross (Post 273146)
Oi that's my motto :laugh: V V V

And a good one it is too!! :)

sneekyparrot 23-10-12 06:43 PM

Only a little update. I have started to strip the car but with it so low it was proving a pain to get under to even drain the fluids So I purchased a few goodies from cj autos:
Mobile axle stand / lifting beam and mechanics car creeper.

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...AFFEE3D63B.jpg

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...B00E7E423F.jpg
Not much camber left :-)
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...B01B66C6C9.jpg

Well on with the strip down, doors , seats and bumpers next after that the motor is coming out.
Only prob is a couple of cracked ribs following a small accident trying to use a 6x2 timber as a jacking beam has me side lined lol!

L8r's
P.

Quadcam24 23-10-12 08:24 PM

shagginell whats that codge, welded up the nut, lol.
hope your ribs are ok !

Maxxed_Ross 24-10-12 05:22 AM

that camber adjuster looks a bit nasty. I've been hunting for months for a decent one but they all seem to be sliding nut typres like that. I just don't trust it!

Supercharged_Z 24-10-12 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxxed_Ross (Post 278782)
that camber adjuster looks a bit nasty. I've been hunting for months for a decent one but they all seem to be sliding nut typres like that. I just don't trust it!

To be fair these are the expensive ones, I found them ok slot better tan the eBay specials

Quadcam24 24-10-12 06:29 AM

yes they were expensive, not them cheapo jobs you can get.
They used to work well but obviously somethings happened since.

Supercharged_Z 24-10-12 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadcam24 (Post 278788)

I never paid attention to them apart from doing up one of the fixings as you suggested, sadly it would be the guy who I bought it off...

Maxxed_Ross 24-10-12 08:07 AM

from an engineering point of view it just looks weak and like it could move too easily...

sneekyparrot 11-11-12 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadcam24 (Post 278788)

I got in touch with SPC to find out they stopped making them but still have a few spares which is good so ordering up some new ball joints with the adjusters etc.
They can supply new mounting bushes but going to get one out and look for a super flex equiv.

The are the best i have seen and come with castor adjustment as well which is a bonus just a shame the stopped making them.

sneekyparrot 11-11-12 01:10 PM

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...91029CF884.jpg

strip down still on going, almost at engine box out stage :-)

stripped out all the ABS today. Going from straight master cylinder to front calipers with braided line / splitter but the rear will have a bias control valve in the car to give me some control over the rears!

once the motor is out then the stitch welding begins!

P.