theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Finding a track ZS - CASH WAITING (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=13327)

Smokey 11-08-10 08:15 PM

Finding a track ZS - CASH WAITING

Ok so have finally decided that due to wedding commitments next September and not wanting to be stressed trying to save every penny before xmas for a MK2 180 I have decided to wait til after the wedding to begin saving for the MK2 180 I desire.

However that means I am going to spend around ?1000 on a MK1 180 for track use at Knockhill.

So I know some of you guys love hunting, and I have looked myself, so here are the requirements:

MK1 ZS 180 Saloon
Colour preferably black or yellow but open to all
Belts must be done
Mileage up to 75k
Standard ok, decent exhaust/induction better (no cone in bay!)
Tyres/brakes decent to race til December minimum (3-4 track days)
MOT/tax minimum 6 months
Distance no problem
No VIS/Plenum/Manifold issues!!!
Average bodywork condition (no big dents/rust [dings ok])
No rips on interior, wear and tear ok

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/1?logcode=p

This particular one has huge potential, am just waiting on a reply from owner for above queries!

Have checked Pistonheads/Autotrader today but just briefly.

All help would be appreciated and looking to buy in 4-5 weeks!

Craig 11-08-10 08:19 PM

Nice interior! Looks very cheap

Supercharged_Z 11-08-10 08:38 PM

its quite a list you have, i can imagine you may need to be open to not getting All the things in your tick list for 1k.. but probably not far off..

ebay ftw

Smokey 11-08-10 08:44 PM

yeah its quite extensive and specific! Some things may be swayed but not belts and engine faults!

Never looked at ebay cos you have to bid on most and I wont have the full amount until next month.

Alan.F 11-08-10 08:48 PM

3 or 4 trackdays from 1 set of tyres i take it you wont be trying to hard then :)

Smokey 11-08-10 08:49 PM

lol, well I'll see, but suitably road legal lol!

Supercharged_Z 11-08-10 08:54 PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-zs-2-5-v6-/...item4cf0eb03ab

win ;)

Smokey 11-08-10 09:43 PM

oooh, almost a win, except ends to soon and is a hatch :sick:

Also, I am open to ZS replicas with 2l turbo conversions if done right and someone with knowledge would give it the ok! (or even a converted ZR if it is just right :D)

Supercharged_Z 11-08-10 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokey (Post 165346)
oooh, almost a win, except ends to soon and is a hatch :sick:

Also, I am open to ZS replicas with 2l turbo conversions if done right and someone with knowledge would give it the ok! (or even a converted ZR if it is just right :D)

dont get a zr.. honest mate it will not tick the boxes and a zs 180 would trounce a zr turbo on track.. espeically if u bought it for 1k..

btw hatches handle better and actually look better

Smokey 11-08-10 10:08 PM

I'll disagree with looks, I love the saloon tbh, personal taste, but am curious to know more re handling.

I will take your word on the zr so can scrap that idea lol.

Smokey 12-08-10 12:14 AM

Anybody know about this car?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1807492.htm

I have had the back and forward emails and would like the expert opinions on the odometer/speedo issue and abs ring issue and cost of fix etc?

> > > Hi. Just wondering if your MG zs is still for sale?
> > > Also what condition is the tyres, brakes, bodywork? (dings/
> > scratches/dents?) and they are notorious for vis motor issues and
> > plenum/manifold rattle, does this car have any of these faults? Has
> > the car been modified or raced on track?
> > > Thanks

> > hi there the viss motors feel alright and bodywork is not in a bad
> > condition to be fair its age and body condition go well theres no
> > rattle on the manifold and ac works etc all in good nick not
> > modified atall even the original stereo in the car, tyres and brakes
> > are good cheers

> > >> That sounds pretty good. What length MOT and tax is left?

> mot i can get done 12 months tax till end of month oh also just a problem i noticed the odometer is on and of recently ive asked around ant they say the abs ring on the drive shaft mite have a crack only cost like ?13 to buy

Smokey 12-08-10 11:40 AM

Any opinions?

Tony10 12-08-10 11:53 AM

I would say ABS ring is an easy fix tbh!

Why dont you get someone on here who lives down there to nip over and see it on you behalf at least then someone has seen it for you?

Smokey 12-08-10 12:10 PM

Think I will do that regardless of the car but as it will be about 4 weeks from now, don't want to hassle folk just now with checking cars! Just looking forbgiod examples, if a perfect one appears then I may be able to buy early.

Supercharged_Z 12-08-10 01:29 PM

if the speedo isnt working the sensor/drive is on the rear wheel somewhere so wont be a abs ring

Smokey 12-08-10 01:47 PM

Well that's what I thought but wasn't sure due to his poor English if he was suggesting two problems or the cause of one problem lol

Maxfly 12-08-10 02:37 PM

I thought the speedo was a reading from all 4 wheels??

As said though ABS rings are easy enough to replace:)

What gives him the idea that honda designed the KV6 though, pretty sure they didn't do anything of the sort :D

ZS 12-08-10 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercharged_Z (Post 165356)
btw hatches handle better and actually look better

Really? :)

Quote:

Incidentally, I'd recommend the saloon version of the ZS for a keen driver. An appreciably stiffer body means crisper handling and a better ride. It also looks better and has much greater carrying capacity than the hatchback.
- Taken from http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...mg_zs_180.html

Smokey 12-08-10 03:18 PM

Oh hatch v saloon handling! I hear a debate brewing!

BUCKYDEVIL 12-08-10 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokey (Post 165434)
Oh hatch v saloon handling! I hear a debate brewing!

Oooohh stirring up old debates Smokey ? when there is clearly already one winner . lol,,,

Hope you find a great track car mate, Im so jelious.

Smokey 12-08-10 03:44 PM

Well considering the amazing community that is this site, once I have the car, I plan on offering anyone who comes to knockhill and is a good member of the site. If they want to drive it round the track they can if they cover a little of the costs involved on the day ( not looking to make a profit lol, just cover costs) people like kev, grimmy, Ross, nor etc are all local enough for example

stamford 12-08-10 03:56 PM

Nice idea, we could do the same across the country if enough interest.

Smokey 12-08-10 04:08 PM

well I thought so. cost of track time plus a small donation to cover cost of replacement tyres/brakes etc. Plus the combined knowhow to fix any issues free/cheap.

Had thought about it last year but though the site wouldn't be able to pay for an entire car but if I got one at a good price then its a start.

I do plan on vinyling it up and so will require a few large site stickers when the car arrives!

BUCKYDEVIL 12-08-10 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokey (Post 165436)
Well considering the amazing community that is this site, once I have the car, I plan on offering anyone who comes to knockhill and is a good member of the site. If they want to drive it round the track they can if they cover a little of the costs involved on the day ( not looking to make a profit lol, just cover costs) people like kev, grimmy, Ross, nor etc are all local enough for example

OOOOOOOOOOOHHH !!!!!
LOVE YOU SMOKEY:kissing2:

grimmy 12-08-10 04:32 PM

My pal smokey

Smokey 12-08-10 04:45 PM

better razzing a relatively cheap ZS bought for track fun than ruin your daily drive.

Obviously sensible drivers only as I'm not paying out for ridiculous repairs lol!

But I think its a good idea and I am happy to offer as this community has been my daily visit for the last 3 years!

(So help me find a good one that meets the criteria lol!)

Smokey 12-08-10 06:55 PM

Regarding the black one mentioned earlier with the cracked abs ring. How easy and what tools would it take to repair? Would the car be safe to drive 300 miles home? And he has agreed to put it through mot I take it that wouldn't show up?

andys1981 12-08-10 07:04 PM

this may be my only option,to race ma car at knockhill,as ave had nae takers for mine,as its too good to break

Smokey 12-08-10 07:10 PM

You would still need to mot and tax it to get it there and back or pay the expense of a truck each time?

andys1981 12-08-10 07:41 PM

its moted till next july,tax runs oot at the end of the month tho,got the breaks,tyres,hmmm,suppose a could just get a days cover off ins to drive up there,ken your no ins on the track,its a long walk hame tho if summit went wrong wi the car eh lol

Smokey 12-08-10 07:43 PM

Yip which is why I'll be taking two cars with me!

Maxfly 12-08-10 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokey (Post 165452)
Regarding the black one mentioned earlier with the cracked abs ring. How easy and what tools would it take to repair? Would the car be safe to drive 300 miles home? And he has agreed to put it through mot I take it that wouldn't show up?

safe enough to drive that distance with a cracked reluctor ring i reckon.

When i did mine all i needed was a socket set, ball joint splitter, new split pins, and hammer:) was pretty easy tbh might be wise to get 2 rings and replace both fronts if required, if not you then have a spare:)

Smokey 12-08-10 08:29 PM

well he wont budge a penny on price and wont get the cheap fix done himself for the full amount so passing on it anyway.

Still hunting. Will defo have the cash in 4 weeks.

Would be preferable to have the car in Scotland although that limits it somewhat!

There is a Rover/MG with 2l turbo conversion on PH but would not have a clue if any good or not!

stamford 12-08-10 08:46 PM

Take your time, one will come up when the time is right.

I am considering leaving mine off road and getting a cheap trailer to take it to track and possible shows. I can't justify insuring the Land Rover and her MGF as well as the ZS and tax it. It's getting too expensive running cars these days.

Dan1971 12-08-10 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamford (Post 165471)
....It's getting too expensive running cars these days.

Fair point well made. That's why I'm surprised to a degree that my Focus is still outside my front door.

Was chatting to my mate who has a V8 ZT on the phone - (getting some pointers for a potential deal - which has now fallen through by the way) - and get this - ?65 worth of fuel gets him ........ 240 miles :cry:

Right now I'm getting 500 on ?40.

Add in the fact that I read a report somewhere about the tax break we got on the 180s a couple of years back - relating to the vehicles reg between March 2001 and March 2006 - only lasting until 2011 - made me think to be honest ....:hmmm:

Dan1971 12-08-10 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokey (Post 165468)
There is a Rover/MG with 2l turbo conversion on PH but would not have a clue if any good or not!

Saw that too and thought about putting it here for you .....

Smokey 12-08-10 09:16 PM

yeah but I know very little of the reliability of these conversions....but I am taking my time, not rushing into a **** example if I can help it!

Oh but have decided I would prefer black as I would like to do the xpower green btcc vinyls!

Although any colour is still an option (gf loves yellow!)

peterzs 12-08-10 10:25 PM

[QUOTE=Smokey;165474

Although any colour is still an option (gf loves yellow!)[/QUOTE]

gf's got good taste.

:wave::wave::wave:

andys1981 12-08-10 10:40 PM

i would sell mine to you,to a forum member smokey for 800,canny beat that surely,it gonna get thrashed on the track anyway,its had its ups and downs but its a great car none the less,looks the part aswell

Smokey 12-08-10 10:49 PM

It's very tempting mate but as I mentioned in pm, the short road tax and the cost of that plus vic etc would leave me spending more than I'd like plus it needs to be driven to the track and back with my kids and gf in tow. And my gf will be driving it on track too so would prefer one that had not been involved in any accidents (I'll leave her to do that!)