theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Engine question - Rover 45 (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=11137)

Hambo-180 17-02-10 11:36 AM

Engine question - Rover 45

Howdy folks,

I have an engine question - is it a Rover or Honda engine in a 53 plate Rover 45 1.6? My mate's dad is buying one and was asking about stuff including what engine is in it....

KevG 17-02-10 12:40 PM

It will be a K series.

RalphG 17-02-10 01:34 PM

No, its Powertrain.

Hambo-180 17-02-10 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMS Ltd. (Post 141620)
No, its Powertrain.

any know realiabilty problems? i.e HGF..

talkingcars 17-02-10 06:32 PM

I think what we are sying is that the K series engine will not have been supplied by Rover or by Honda but by Powertrain who IIRC were part of MG/Rover, it is still a kseries and will have the same HG problems as any other Kseries (although the later ones are genrally stronger than the early ones).

Ritchy 17-02-10 06:33 PM

it is a k series in them

starfire039 17-02-10 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingcars (Post 141667)
I think what we are sying is that the K series engine will not have been supplied by Rover or by Honda but by Powertrain who IIRC were part of MG/Rover, it is still a kseries and will have the same HG problems as any other Kseries (although the later ones are genrally stronger than the early ones).

+1

it is the same K series you find in the MGs. I wouldn't buy one of those to be honest. I would go for a diesel personally. Same sort of power, more reliable, a lot more mpg, less tax, it just makes sense to me.

EDIT: re read what I wrote, I'm not bashing the K series, I love mine to pieces and it runs perfectly, but if reliability is a major factor for your Dad, I just wouldn't bother with a K series when you could buy an L series.

Hambo-180 17-02-10 08:34 PM

thanks folks for the advice, wasnt sure if the 1.6 engine had the same HGF issues as the 1.8 vvc. I guess just keeping an eye on coolant levels is a must then....

Southside_ZS 17-02-10 09:37 PM

I think in the k-series 4-pot the bigger the engine size the more prone they seam to be to HGF as the bore sizes gets bigger it reduces the distance between ports on the gasket. I could be wrong but thats what i've heard.

You do seam to see more 1.8's with HGF than 1.4's and i've rarely heard of the 1.4 8V suddering from it compared to the 16V

Ritchy 17-02-10 09:46 PM

i dunno about that but i think your along the right lines with the engine sizes i think, i think the temprature has more of an effect on it, think the majority of hgf are caused by overheating whether that be by no coolant or fans no working ect, also i think a lot are caused by coolant changes where the engine hasnt been bled properly then overheats before the head fills up with water completely, thats my theory anyways

a 1.4 is gonna create less heat than a 1.8 landrover where so bad with the freelander because it was such a heavy car to lug around it made the engine extra warm inside