theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Thinking About Buying A ZS 120 (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=12344)

Glenn 16-05-10 05:14 PM

Thinking About Buying A ZS 120

Hello, am new here and am Looking at buying a ZS 120 hatchback. I was just wondering what peoples opinions on them from the people who own them, and what problems and things to look out for. Any help would be great Thanks Glenn

Flocka 16-05-10 05:26 PM

I bought my first MG, a MK1 120 Saloon, about 3 weeks ago and love it already. Goes well and looks nice, although needs a bit of touching up as it has a few scratches on the paintwork. Not made to be a car for comfort (which probably adds to the reason why my mrs doesn't seem to like it much, you can feel every bump in the road) but sticks to road well round the bends on my way to work. I'm sure the other fellas here will have more useful things to say than me :P

Zippy Saloon 16-05-10 05:27 PM

Had mine a couple of months short of 8 years now.
No major problems, door handles, 2 brake calipers (1 front, 1 rear), front seat mountings, inlet manifold gasket, ABS reluctor rings, SRS light plus consumables is about it really.

stamford 16-05-10 05:27 PM

:hi: to the forum Glenn

There's a buyers guide here if this helps http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26

You'll get plenty of pointers from 120 owners soon enough.

RudeDogg1 16-05-10 05:39 PM

and get a saloon ;)

Zippy Saloon 16-05-10 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RudeDogg1 (Post 155024)
and get a saloon ;)

Goes without saying :laugh:
And trophy blue :whistle:

starfire039 16-05-10 06:39 PM

usual things that every ZS might suffer from:

-stick rear door handles, do they open smoothly?
>requires door card removal and some lubrication of the door handle mechanism.

-rear windows creep down, give them a push down to test to see if they're okay
>perhaps new rear window regulator, £20.

-heater blower 1 + 2 doesn't work
>a resistor costing pennies from maplin, a new pack from a scrappy, or a repaired one available from a forum member on here I think, for like a fiver. Access to this is very very easy.

-Saloon leaky boot, easy fix, but won't bother as you are after a hatch.

-mark 2 alarm box needs modification to prevent water getting in.

-suspension can creak under acceleration. This just needs a bolt undoing and retightning by a garage, there was a technical bulletin by MG Rover that relates to it, just google the symptom and you'll find it.. i forgot it now!

Specific to a 120:

> head gasket failure. Keep an eye on coolant levels, don't push the car hard when it's cold, keep car serviced regularly and look after it and you should be okay. Keep an eye out for crystal deposits on the radiator which indicates coolant leaking, therefore coolant loss to the engine, adding the threat to head gasket failure. When you buy a ZS check the oil filler cap and dipstick for milky like oil. It shouldn't be like that.

MK1 v MK2

MK1 is generally better built, especially 52 plate and earlier. As the company was getting worse off, items were cut and build quality suffered.

MK2 is better looking (this is generally down to opinion, but the MK2 is without question with the full 180 kit a much more modern looking car- inside and out).

MK2 has alarm sounder problems, and rear bumper sag. Both easy fixes however.

You'll also notice the clutch rides high. This is normal, just get used to it.

I'll let others add to this, I should be revising!

Zippy Saloon 16-05-10 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starfire039 (Post 155040)
rear windows creep down, give them a push down to test to see if they're okay
>perhaps new rear window regulator, £20.

-heater blower 1 + 2 doesn't work
>a resistor costing pennies from maplin, a new pack from a scrappy, or a repaired one available from a forum member on here I think, for like a fiver. Access to this is very very easy.

Cured windows on mine by repositioning handles, cost nothing.

Forgot about the blower resistors, "maplinned" years ago and fine since

Yampiedog 16-05-10 07:12 PM

My first ever MG was a Mk1 ZS 120+ Hatch - the first car I really appreciated - I bought it in 2001 on a 51 plate brand new, best car I have ever bought.

gsinclairzs 16-05-10 07:22 PM

Go for it. Top car for little money. HGF is always the biggest worry, but an uprated land rover gasket can be fitted if it goes.