theMGZS.co.uk  :: MG ZS forum

theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Comparing a ZS180 to my tuned ZS derv (https://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=25884)

Dave 16-07-13 07:36 PM

Comparing a ZS180 to my tuned ZS derv

On sunday, i had the opportunity to drive a ZS180, many thanks to James Raby :cool1:

The power delivery is like chalk and cheese, between the 2 cars.

With the V6, there isn't so much of a punch on acceleration, compared to my TD (i think James will confirm that!!).

The V6 is very smooth indeed, and obviously a careful eye to be kept on the speedo, due to the lack of real punch.

Whereas the derv gives a punch in the guts, when giving it some beans, so you kinda know that you are going quickly.

The derv needs rapid gear changes to keep her on song, whereas the V6 is quite lazy in that way. Altho saying that, i can give the derv a prod on the accelerator in 5th, and she pulls very well indeed.

I have been possibly thinking about changing to a 180, from my derv, now the decision is made even more difficult.

I love the animal like acceleration of my derv, and the punch at low revs. Whereas the noise of the V6, is quite addictive.

So, rather than making my mind up, it's made the decision even harder!!! :hang:

If MGR did a V6 derv, then that would make the decision easier!!! :smartass:

Cheers
Dave

Dan1971 16-07-13 07:38 PM

Buy a v6 too ... plenty cheap ones out there ... ;)

Dave 16-07-13 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 314464)
Buy a v6 too ... plenty cheap ones out there ... ;)

Would love to, but doubling of the car bills will kill me (as well as the wife :p)!!!

Cheers
Dave

Dan1971 16-07-13 07:45 PM

Not sure about the "lack of real punch" bit though .... :hmm:

Dave 16-07-13 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1971 (Post 314467)
Not sure about the "lack of real punch" bit though .... :hmm:

In comparison to my derv, the punch is very much less.

The is a moment when you get pushed into your seat, but not in the same way as my derv does.

Obviously these are just my own personal opinion/experiences.

Cheers
Dave

peterzs 16-07-13 07:53 PM

My one does push out some black smoke when you put your foot down!!!!

But it does go, never had it flat out!!

Wondered how the derv performed against a V6.

My TF160 VVC goes well but its revving its nuts off, the derv just slogs along.

p_b82 16-07-13 08:38 PM

I'd been told that mine would really give a V6 a run for its money.. but as reported the way to drive them both is completely different and they both gives feelings of speed in different ways...

you get a thump or torque in a derv, but you run out of revs that you dont in a petrol, and the 4000-redline in the v6 you will not ever reproduce in the derv.. and it will be deceptively fast, holding the gear for longer would mean that you gain a lot of 'time' if you are on the strip in a straight up race.

petet16 16-07-13 08:52 PM

You have to let the v6 rev out to get the best out of it, both performance wise and aurally 6k+.

James Raby 16-07-13 08:57 PM

The 180 of mine does have an issue I think, might if cured that yesterday stupid car - no faults recorded either...

The diesel certainly drives completely different to the v6

Both have positives though, the v6 right up to the limiter just pulls like a train and the diesel just grunts lower down so damn quick with his mods

Drivability - v6 every day for me tbh.
Economy - diesel

Craig-ZS180 16-07-13 09:05 PM

Also I don't think you will have driven the V6 how you would drive your own one so prob not a fair test.
I think you would need to drive both cars "in anger" if you understand what I mean where you really push them both hard as until you do that in either you won't get a completely fair comparison. I remember when I got out of my 180 and into my tuned derv 2 years ago and yes very hard to say which would've had the edge as they both drive in totally different ways but then when I got back into the 180 it was actually clear as to which car wouldve ended up ahead if you were going head to head.
Both cars have there merits and downsides and it just depends what you want from your zs really as to which model to go for.