View Single Post
Old 09-01-10, 12:14 PM   #40
Dave ZS-X

Dave ZS-X is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
230+ I would say is possible if using 285 cams as they can give up to 40bhp, throttle bodies with a DTA, why not? QED can spec over 300 depending on pocket depth. But then who would actually spend that much?
power gain?.....this is the million dollar question and imo it will be negligible over what the car already had, 270 cams and full breathing mods mapped always make between 205-210 bhp.
QED made 230 on their trackday 2.5 kv6 engine with t.b's, 285 cams, dta etc but thats not the full story, they were making that power at 7600 rpm's and over iirc, thats real power proven on an engine dyno not an optomistic rolling road guesstimate.
270 cams power band ends at 6700 rpm's so you wont gain anything even if you up the rev limit as i did some years back.
I wonder if the plenum with vis removed and mapped with dta could even make the same power....at just 210 ish bhp the plenum may not even be a restriction.
The throttle bodies are just 1 piece of a thouasnd piece jigsaw that is the btcc engine and its just impossible for them to give big gains on their own.
Interesting project but the true cost makes it irrelevant as no one will ever do it again.
Throw in some more parts and will turn into something very nice but then unless your cars a track car it will start to have poor road manners.
I wonder if it will even need a "friendly" mot place to pass it as it stands now.lol

Dave