Old 12-04-10, 01:52 PM   #8
Boot Hill Bandit
Coming back home!.......

Boot Hill Bandit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StragglaSteve View Post
had a quick read up...

seems simple enough!

gas tank in the spare wheel well, hoseing running underniethe the car to some sort of vapour tank in the engine bay (converting the liquid gas to vapour). then to some new injectors where the gas is injected straight into the engine

you also get a new ECU to go along side your exsisting ECU and a push button to tell the ECU to switch between gas and petrol.

there is adverts for these conversions as cheap as £900 but didnt look into the quality of those conversions

seems the general view is that running on the LPG you are cutting your fuel costs in half, but i guess that depends how much you use the LPG? as you have the option to switch to petrol whenever you want! which i guess can be determined by your mood/driving needs. Eco-drive, put the LPG on! in the mood to put your foot down, switch back to petrol!

couldnt really find any info on how much additional weight you get with the LPG. Also more importantly, when switching from petrol to LPG on a (quite possibly) regular basis, what effect will this have on the life span of the engine?
Generally speaking spark plugs will get eaten but more so from frequent switching of fuels............running on LPG as much as possible with platinum plugs means trouble free motoring......

As for performance..........no trade off!!! BHP should be the same........it is the MPG which changes...........unleaded is more economical per mile.......the LPG is greener but burns more so the LPG per mile is more....

Trust me..........when the engine is warm and up to teperature I will have my foot buried more often!!!

Only thing I have noted is that it is wise not to let the tanks run down to low. On the flip side I drive LPG powered forklifts and have had no mechanical problems in the 1500 hours our two forks have clocked up each.........they are run on the rev limiter across our site even though this has been reduced by Linde technicians.......

The sooner I get a conversion the better.......but I must do my homework first by asking if anyone has been running LPG on a ZS180 already.

Jim