View Single Post
Old 20-05-10, 07:10 AM   #124
carmadbaker

carmadbaker has a spectacular aura aboutcarmadbaker has a spectacular aura about
Bit more of an update for people on how the project is coming along!
I deemed that the oil cooler behind the block is pretty much pointless, especially with the 620ti sump on the engine, however to make best of a bad situation i decided to move the cooler to right up front with the radiator and intercooler (not shown yet.)
It took a bit of messing around, but after i had the pipes and brackets made up it was easy, now not only does it look the nuts, but it should keep my high boosting engines oil at a decent level to aid with cooling. The take off's being straight off of the pump itself.

Now for the REALLY cool part, i sent my car down to Kevin at Zero Exhausts, the guy is a legend and more helpfull than i thought anyone ever could be!
I've gone for larger tubular manifolds, external wastgate and free flowing downpipe straight to a 2.5" straight through system, 4"inwardly rolled tip out of the back. It certainly wasn't cheap but the results speak for themselves.

Thats right he has literally moved my entire turbo position, (normally infront of the block behind the radiator)
I've never seen another rover manifold like this atall, ford do this alot in their racers but this sort of design has never been seen on a Rover (may be a very good reason!)
I've got a little bit of messing around to do with regards to piping, oil feeds, and guarding other components from heat soak and heat damage, but that of course isn't a problem with a piece of kit like ^^^ that causing it all.
Im sure people will have mixed reactions about the manifold, pipes to long, exhaust gas temp drops etc etc.... and i'll admit im having the same worries, the only way im going to know if there are any problems will be to try them, and let the rollers do the talking!

Sadly the head is coming back off tonight due to a leak, knocked the project back a bit....but what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger!

-MK1 MG ZS T16 Turbo 2.1
-Lotus Elise S2 111

You Can't Spell Dangerous Without "Dan"
carmadbaker is offline   Reply With Quote