View Single Post
Old 25-08-10, 11:36 AM   #78
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Theoretically i could turn the boost down, but that defeats the object of having the hybrid turbo - that has been designed to cope with 28PSI on the intake side of things. (I am running it at around 25/26 PSI atm

the problem is that the internal wastegate is too small to bypass enough of the gas from the hot side, but controlling EMP via boost pressure (intake) is not actually a sensible way to sort the problem - it works by reducing the effective combustion of the fuel by removing air, but this method theoretically would be more effective, as it is dumping the excess pressure post combustion.

Eg if i reduce boost i have to reduce fueling as otherwise the fuel wont be fully combusted, i will get higher smoke, and see the EGT's rise again. At the moment they are nice 'low' 750C while under sustained full throttle - well within turbo temp tollerances and the manifold itself. (i had seem 850 with it still climbing before i backed off the throttle in the past - and that is way too hot!)

I am still quite surprised by the knock comment - diesels dont knock usually as there is no way for the fuel to ignite before the compression is at the max - and an excess of air just results in more complete combustion with a diesel. (out the factory they all run lean as it is hence no smoke and better emissons)

There is no point turning your turbo above 19PSI as the turbo itself becomes inefficient and can't take the strain of the 150K+ rpms that that sort of boost is asking of it. Seen a few pics on .org where the housing starts to crack after a while, and the bearing give up the ghost as they are too hot and dont have enough lubrication...

Car is 99% there now, just this last little niggle.....
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote