Thread: my 120
View Single Post
Old 09-03-11, 10:53 PM   #42
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedragonmg View Post
So what your saying is "JUST DO WHAT EVERYONE ELSE HAS DONE" ???
Sort of but sort of not. There is a reason when certain mods are popular and that is because they probably look good. Unique isnt always good, for example if I put a cement mixer on the roof. It would be unique, Ive certainly never seen it done on a ZS but would it be good? I dont think so. It is easy to be unique, it is very difficult however to be unique and finish up with something that looks good.
Looking at the skirts for example, I can only speculate how much time, research and money MG Rover invested into producing the finished product but I can guarantee that the whole process was much more involved and informed than a company producing an after market skirt. The result being that the original is more appealing to more peaple hence the majority of people on here saying "its not for me". If you like it then fair enough, dare to be different and all that.
With respect to brand values if you tell somebody you drive an MG I always find that you get one of two reactions. The first being from younger people who more often than not say "you mean a badge engineered Rover...". The second is from older people who say "oh, a little rag top. How adorable". Neither of these responses are particularly flattering however it is better than the reaction of either age group if you say you drive a modified corsa for example which is invariably "oh, your a chav" or "you know sod all about cars" albeit they probably wont say it. My fear is that if MGs continue to be modified in the way that this one has been, they will earn the reputation of the corsa, 106, nova etc. In all honesty though I cant see that happening.
Anyway, Im not trying to knock your ZS or what you have done to it, Im just explaining why it will not be to most peoples taste. As I said above though, if you like it then its all good.