Old 10-06-11, 05:02 PM   #9
starfire039

starfire039 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by caled View Post
Here's a youtube clip of what you dont want the plenum to sound like;

clicky
My poor car

It's got worse than that too. Just got in from work and putting a good plenum on though!

Like Stamford said- I'm a perfect example of this, the only way to see if the plenum is knackered is to take off the VIS. Mine sounded perfect when I got it, and I drove it to the MOT station and back, but after about 3 hours of driving it started to rattle, and never stopped. Mick had a look and took the VIS out and saw the arm was completely detached and wobbling all about.

If you're serious about getting a ZS and want a nice example, in the trim that you want, I'd say ?3.5k tops for a mark 2 and ?2k tops for a mk1. For that, they'd have to have a full service history, totally mint condition, all belts done, from a dealer and have a 3 month warranty or the like.

It's true what they say, you can pick up a mark 1 for ?1000 or so, but don't expect a mint one. Like any car, if they're in a desirable trim, have been serviced properly and interior/exterior is in nice condition it'll fetch a lot more- you get what you pay for. The best way to judge is use mytextcheck which will give you info if it's been stolen, scrapped or written off, and a value. Obviously give or take some ?? if it's in good or bad nick.

Do some research into which model you like, mk1 or 2, whether you prefer hatchback or saloon, and what's your favourite colour. For me, a mark 2 ignition blue does it for me, and I'd pay good money ?3.5k for a well kept one. However, hatches, or certain colour mark 1 saloons, I wouldn't even be interested in.

Be patient and you will find the right one, at a bargain price.

For the record- I have a 51 plate 180, and it's getting it's first plenum (or inlet manifold as referred by some) at 136k- it had a good run. I've seen others with mark 2's (so 04 plate and newer) crapping out at 40k. Be aware of project drive, if you're going for a mark 1 I'd see if you can get hold of a low mileage 52 plate or earlier, they were better built. The mark 2s, well you have no choice with that, but be aware you might want to get it undersealed as this was skipped when MGR were in deep financial issues.

EDIT: be WELL aware of the cambelts. They are ?400-600 to change. A lot of people are selling up when they're due. If you're getting one without belts done, it better be cheap!
  • Replace/fix rattly mirror
  • Mark 2 dashboard
  • Catch tank
  • New VIS motors
  • Fit bucket seats
  • Induction kit
  • New spark plugs + oil change
  • New exhaust
  • Decat
  • Fix drivers seat mounting hole
  • Reidy Remap

starfire039 is offline   Reply With Quote