Thread: Decat is on
View Single Post
Old 18-01-12, 10:39 PM   #8
KirkJames

KirkJames will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright View Post
Agree with tyres, but brakes - cat amongst pigeons time here: unconvinced unless you're regularly getting brake fade.
Bigger brakes will dissipate more heat and so you can do more stops before they begin to go away, but the limit of how quickly you can stop is how you get ALL FOUR wheels to brake as hard as possible without locking.
Adding bigger brakes may feel better but they do nothing to increase your level of grip - they just help you to reach the locking point sooner. And adding them at 1 end and unbalancing the system is actually likely to INCREASE stopping distances as the rear wheels may not have reached maximum retardation while the fronts are drawing parallel black lines.
Good job I am only replacing with standard brakes then. It's not a performance issue it's purely maintenance and that my current standard brakes need replacing. Standard brakes do the job just fine for my liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
When my decat went on my old Mk1 180, it sounded better and felt stronger lower down the rev range - just breathed better - (but was fitted after a pipercross induction kit which in itself gave 6bhp improvement - dyno'd).

Standard induction on the 180 simply does not appear to be good enough and should be one of the first things to improve IMHO if you're looking for more power.
Yeah like I say, next step after the essentials are out of the way will be cone in the inner wing
KirkJames is offline   Reply With Quote