View Single Post
Old 18-05-12, 10:21 PM   #116
Eddie

Eddie will become famous soon enough
My feeling is the torque curve on the VIS enabled KV6 delivers the torque curve progressively, nice and smooth to avoid a massive dump of low down torque. Remove the VIS valves on stock ECU it will pull out timing and fuel to compensate for the change it see’s that’s quite a change it cannot adjust and pull the best performance from.
With standalone management and unimpeded airflow you can create the curve how you want, depending on how the engine is breathing in other areas such as head and valves and of course out of the exhaust manifold, good flow coupled with some scavenging and maybe some cam over lap if the build will allow then you can tune your torque curve with timing, both mechanical by adjusting the cams gear/s and in the ECU. If I remember well he runs JS Manifolds which are designed for midrange, not sure which cams but it won’t be 285’s with stock valve train so 270’s at best, these aren’t designed to make power above a certain rpm. With the DTA they can tune the AFR’s to where they need to be then build an ignition map, based on components used in the build the airbox will flow for sure but there will be other restrictions and this will limit the full potential. Open out the ports in the head and use the different valves and new profile it will flow a lot more air, add larger cams it’ll flow more again, change compression ratio of pistons you gain again and put cams and breathing mods to full use, it’s ok having the airbox but how much can the head digest?
Small exhaust manifold system with short primaries will be good for torque, map in some ignition in the low rpm range and see what it likes, I feel this is where Steve’s car will make killer torque over the VIS enable engine.