View Single Post
Old 30-05-12, 08:11 AM   #2
Smokey
The Alan Gow of OBTCC

Smokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to behold
Its actually quite a big commitment mate, not to put you off. (I would love to see a Southern one!)
A few questions you really need to ask yourself....

Do you use the car as your daily drive?
Are you happy that others will drive it to the limit?
If it was crashed, can you do without the car?
Will you insure it for track days, is it finantially worth it?
Do you have the time to organise the trackdays?
Can you afford the trackdays yourself?
Will you livery it up? (dazzer could replicate mine)

I know you have spent a few bob on braided hoses etc, how much do you value the car?

In my scenario, I bought a cheap but running ZS and have spent only as much as needed to get it the way I wanted (with bucket seats/harnesses/stripped out/livery)

Costs:

I make pretty much nothing out of the track days. A simple breakdown would be this:

No. of Drivers: 4
Track Cost: £80
Petrol Cost: £70 -inc. travel to/from track
Additional Driver Cost: £30
Wear and Tear: £40 (£10 per head)
Session Time: 2 hours

Total Cost: £ 220 split 4 ways

This is only a guide, trackscotland and Knockhill track days have different costs and depending on distance from track, petrol may be more or less. Also, when I looked in to Oulton, the track costs were about double Knockhills! (always check additional driver costs!!)

I think wear and tear at £10 per head is fair.

Things do come up though, I had to buy brake fluid after the last session so straight away thats almost half the wear/tear money gone. The things that are likely to wear are brake disks/pads (£110 at cheapest) and tyres (£80 per corner for cheap rubbish or around £150 for something worthwhile)

It's not a whimsical decision mate and if you choose to go ahead with it, take as much advice from everyone as you can as it has been a massive help to me!

Good luck either way though, would look forward to a North/South track day meet!!!

2009 Forza 2 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC 2nd Place Runner-up
2009/2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Clio Cup 4th Place
2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/F500 Cup 2nd Place Runner-up
2011 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 3rd Place
2012 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 1st Place Winner
2012/2013 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/DTM Championship 3rd Place
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote