Thread: Saloon vs hatch
View Single Post
Old 19-09-12, 10:30 AM   #59
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
I own a Mk2 ZS hatch, and got a Mk2 R45 saloon for my Dad. They both have the same engine, so no issues there.
Before buying mine I thought that the hatch looked a bit sawn-off at the rear (a la Beemer Compact as someone else already said), but when you live with it you suddenly find yourself looking at the saloon and thinking it's a bit overly long and boat-ish!

What the ZS saloon may gain in handling due to stiffness it probably loses in practicality by the rear seats being fixed.
I also don’t like the lack of trim on inside of the boot-lid of my Dad’s 45 – it makes it sound a bit tinny and cheap when you close it.
You also have to bend down more to get stuff into and out of the furthest reaches of the boot, whereas large loads can be easily placed into and retrieved from the hatch. You can see them better too with the rear parcel shelf lifting up along with the hatch.

I have the hatch style Extreme spoiler on mine, but it can be a bit of a pain on the motorway because it goes right across your field of vision in the mirror and obscures the view of things behind. So I find myself scooching down or stretching up to try to see indicators etc (yes you DO have to be aware of what is behind as well as what’s in front)!!!

Edit: It's also nice to have the option of being able to clean your rear window to see out of it properly with the hatch's wiper - I miss it when reversing my Dad's car in the rain. And when I put mine in reverse with the front wipers on, it automatically clears my rear window for me - great when the car's covered in dew and I'm pulling out of my parking space first thing in the morning.

Mk2 MG ZS TD 115 with full 180 kit (and 2x Lotus Elan SE Turbos)

Last edited by Enright; 19-09-12 at 10:44 AM.
Enright is offline   Reply With Quote