Thread: Pre mot
View Single Post
Old 21-03-13, 01:49 PM   #9
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowthruster View Post
I dont have all the tools for the cv,and trust me i would take about 3hrs each!
You might find it's not as bad as you feared. I had to do one of these fairly recently, and it's a job I've always hated. But they are now making these stretchy boots that you can fit all the way over the CV joint.
Honestly, I was amazed that the small hole in the CV boot can stretch so much without splitting, but it worked brilliantly. The only special tool needed other than the one that came with the kit was a ball-joint splitter, which you may well need to do your track rod end anyway.
Here's a link to the sort I got: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=130690876307
They used to have a video of a mechanic using the cone to put the CV boot on embedded in their ad - it may still be available on YouTube. Worth a look as it could save you a packet.

And Peter's absolutely right - putting a different track-rod end on, no matter how careful you are, is likely to throw your steering geometry out, so you should at least take it for a tracking check afterwards.

Mk2 MG ZS TD 115 with full 180 kit (and 2x Lotus Elan SE Turbos)

Last edited by Enright; 21-03-13 at 01:52 PM.
Enright is offline   Reply With Quote