View Single Post
Old 01-06-13, 02:37 AM   #1
waynester

waynester is on a distinguished road
ZS 180 v S Type R Jaguar

I'm not one for head to head comparisons on the road.. certainly not racing, but a little incident yesterday evening gave me reason to smile.

I was on my way to picking up my son, around 6pm.. rush hour(ish).
An Stype R Jag, you know..the quick one, V8 I believe? Anyway, he was sat on my ass for a few miles..not able to pass due to traffic..& me making sure I gave it little squirts of acceleration exiting/straight over various roundabouts.

I was going to be turning right on a large roundabout that went under the A1M, then take the 3rd exit onto the A1M.
Now..the slip road is long & a reasonable incline..& he was still on my tail, & I knew he wanted to overtake me & blast up the sliproad.. y'know, get me out of his way with ease.
So.. feeling a little combative I thoughtni would give it some beans as well.
As I turned left onto the slip..I dropped into 3rd & nailed it untl just before the redline, & then bang..into 4th, foot to the floor. Matey in the Jag did the same, he got about a 1/3 of the way passed & then no more. My car felt great & sounded just as good! And there he sat as we drag raced up this long uphill slip road.

Once at the top & getting onto the A1M I slowed as we were already at an indecent speed.
He..irritated that he couldn't pass using sheer grunt kept going. As he passed I looked over & smiled, he looked dead ahead...& that was that. All over in a few seconds, but I felt honour restored with my 'old Rover' that was in his way. Maybe he learnt something..that these 'old Rovers/MGs' are a little bit..quick.

Apologies for the drawn out explanation.

*Car was SOTW August '12
waynester is offline   Reply With Quote