Thread: Busy weekend
View Single Post
Old 29-01-14, 10:52 AM   #14
pheelay

pheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the rough
Some more info on the tracker.. It's got many features but I've not bothered with a lot of them:
- Remotely activate/deactivate a relay included in the kit (usually to cut off the fuel pump)
- Door trigger
- Ignition on (ACC) trigger
- Power cut trigger
- SOS button
- Output for an (optional) siren
- Microphone to monitor cabin
- Internal backup battery
- Geo-fence trigger (alert if the tracker ventures outside a defined area)

For basic operation, you call the tracker, it hangs up and sends you back an SMS with GPS coordinates, a link to Google Maps and the status of various triggers (i.e. Power On/Off, Door Open/Closed, Ignition On/Off). It can be set to only respond to your number. Each trigger can be set to send a notification if tripped, or I guess activate the fuel cut-off relay if you wish.

I wont go into too many details on here on how/where I installed it as it would defeat the purpose! It wasn't difficult, I wired it directly onto the SCU loom. The hardest part was working out which wires to tap into. I can PM more details on that.

The GPS and GSM antennae work through plastic so they're well hidden and seems it picks up accurate GPS signal incredibly quick (faster than any TomTom I've ever used!).

My worry for now is the power consumption. It's definitely going to shorten how long the car can be left unused. It draws about 100mA @13.1V when operating. There's a sleep mode, which can be programmed to activate when ACC is off. Sleep mode disables the GPS. GSM still works so you can communicate with the device. Current draw in standby is 50-60mA @13.1v. The car is off the road at the mo while I try sort out insurance so going to be interesting to see if it starts after!

I'll be mentioning the tracker to the insurance, but think they might only recognise professionally installed and documented kit and only makes a different on cars with very high value?