View Single Post
Old 12-04-14, 09:09 AM   #3
Malteser

Malteser is on a distinguished road
When you plug in the hard drive, does it spin up?
- if yes, then see next question
- if no, then should check if you have another EXACT drive and try switching the mainboard that is on it because the board might have gone

If it spins up, is there a grinding noise?
- if no, see next question
- if yes, you could try the freezer trick. Basically put it in a zip lock bag and put it in the freezer for a day or two. This might be enough to let it run smoothly enough for the computer to use it so you can pull some data from it.

If it spins and there are no noises, does the computer "see" it? check My Computer to see if it is there. If not, check Disk Manager (Right click on My computer and click MAnage if on Vista or 7). If it is there and just not able to be used, then you can try this next step but be warned. You do have the potential of losing data!!

Right click on the partition and format it (a quick format not a Deep Format!!!).
Download Recuva (free software from the internet)
Open Recuva after installing it and do a Deep Scan of that drive. Then ask it to recover that info that it does find to another drive. I have used this program and method many times and it has always worked for me on hard disks, SSDs, flash cards, USB sticks and anything else that holds data (even a floppy disk once!) but every situation is different.

Hope this helps you out and if you need any other help feel free to write here or PM me. Good luck
Malteser is offline   Reply With Quote