View Single Post
Old 17-04-14, 11:31 PM   #139
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Fitting instructions for tow bar - remove insulation from top of chassis rail to locate marks for drilling.....

James' version - drill up from underneath through the two large holes in the underside of the chassis rail to locate main bolt location and enlarge from above with a countersink drill, then use these holes to place the upper plate before marking and drilling the other holes.

Worked great on the passanger side and meant I could easily fit the battery plate properly.

Then I went to do the same on the drivers side, oh, what's this in the way? According to the Rimmers site it's one of these http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID003507 (no. 7)

I'll have to do it from above so off comes the insulation except there are no marks! So with educated guess work I worked out roughly where one of the main holes should be and drilled pilot holes until I located the correct position, enlarging this more or less took in the other pilot holes.

I then used this to locate and drill the other holes.
Cooking on gas now - not quite, from the previous rear end damage this side of the floor isn't flat so the bolts on the inner side don't reach far enough to bolt the reinforcining plate up. Simples, I got a pair of longer bolts.
Fitted the plate.
Now to the outer plate - bother - same problem - I've now sourced the second set of longer bolts.