View Single Post
Old 12-06-14, 12:29 PM   #222
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
I know things have been quiet for a long time but I am pretty sure that I have decided on the route I want to go, and so now it is working out the best approach.

I am going to fit a GTB2056 family turbo, as I like the fact they start to generate decent boost at low rpm's and should be able to top out at 200bhp (maybe a fraction more) on the Lseries.

My challenge, has been which one to go for the options are below:

VAG units - these can fit with a bit of clocking (as well as a vaccum WG swap - on all turbo's i have found in fairness) and an adaptor to the existing manifold. but they are the most expensive to get your hands on on ebay or new it seems. they have been tried and tested in the VAG cars and give good results so is not so much of an unknown.

Volvo units - these have the added 'bonus' of being water cooled, so while not really a huge factor to consider on the derv, a belt and braces approach should it get tracked a and running sustained boost for longer than normal under road driving conditions. It will most likely need to have have a custom manifold to make it fit. they can be had cheaply enough on ebay, that a second hand one and a rebuild would be less than a VAG unit. but the manifold costs would bump it over I think.

Merc units - not really spent too much time looking at them in detail, but same as above for the volvo - but not water cooled, and a bit pricier to get on ebay.

control wont be done through the Arduino route, as have an agreement for one of Dakta's box of tricks - which version is not specified as yet, but the basic one will do the same as the arduino, and means I dont have to build it myself. which is a bonus if you have seen my soldering (in)ability - it is functional, but not pretty!

I'm looking to get the ball rolling with this fairly quickly, but have some difficulties to work out regarding any fabrication and fitting, so most likely this will take longer than planned, but hopefully not too late.

I will run it on the existing map and injectors I have fitted for now, and then most likely swap out for some 200TDI hybrids that Phil spec'd in his thread and get it mapped to suit them.

the additional flow they have will hopefully remove any lag issues as a result of my current setup.

It will also show just how tidy we can make the curves with a fairly decent, before and after approach on the Dyno.

so there you have it - hopefully some more progress to follow in not too long a time frame
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote