View Single Post
Old 16-06-14, 07:31 PM   #42
Fred68

Fred68 has a spectacular aura aboutFred68 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by easytime View Post
Years ago I stuck a K&N cone right onto the TB with Duck tape, took her out and was blown away with the noise, it was sweet. What caused me to subsequently rip the cone off was the total loss, yes loss of power. I was amazed after that to see people blowing hard about open cones in 180's, you really need to be brain dead not to notice the missing 40BHP with a cone. In-fact you deserve a cone if you like a cone.
Absolutely. If the standard filter housing could be insulated from the heat of the rad. It would work much better than standard. The 180's standard filter is nice and large, so should flow well enough. Provided there is plenty of cool air available, power should improve.
Did you know that most pleated paper filters will flow around 4 cubic feet per minute, per square inch of area. An engine requires 2.2 cfpm of air per Bhp. So a 200 Bhp engine requires a filter that can provide 440 cfpm of cool filtered air.
If you work out the area of the standard paper filter in the ZS180, then multiply by 4, you will see that it will flow enough for the engine. Obviously this is when the filter is new. Once it's beginning to clog with debris, it's capacity drops of sharply.
I reckon that K&N cotton filters are hard to beat. They flow as well as new paper and don't clog to fast ether. I've found that foam filters that flow lots of air, don't actually filter that well. Foam that filters well doesn't flow well, this is a bit pointless really.
So a good set up would have a good size filter picking up cool air. Much like the inner wing set up, most in the know favour.