View Single Post
Old 24-08-14, 12:40 PM   #152
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Next came the exhaust.

The one that came with the car was blowing a lot and I suspected that it was the flexi joint as the system hung quite low and caught on the speed humps (read as Himalayan foothills) on the way into work. Normally I avoid them but on the day the sensors failed I caught one quite hard as I was rushing home to get a job offer conformation letter (I got the job but turned it down).

I had the Powerflow duplex system I'd had made up for the mk1 that I wanted to fit so with a week before the annual run to the M-in-L and the blow was getting too much I decided to change it over.

Friday night after work I parked the car with the front wheel on the kerb to raise it up a bit, tried to reach the joint for the rear box, decided it was easier to pop the wheel off and was then amazed how easily the bolts came undone and the rear box came off.

My son arrived at this point to give me a hand, mostly passing spanners etc.

The wheel went back on, the back came down, the front went up and I slid underneath to do the middlebox to cat bolts, the O/S one came undone easily but the N/S one managed a couble of turns and seized up, proberbly not helped by working from the O/S.

I decided to have a go at undoing the down pipe to cat joint to slide both pipes out as one. As soon as I got under there the skys opened so called it a day, Friday.

The following morning I was up early and started at the down pipe joint, all 3 bolts were dead easy to remove. All that was left was the post cat lambda probe. I put the spanner on it to find it wasn't even hand tight - the source for the blow!