Thread: ZS TD project
View Single Post
Old 27-08-14, 09:48 AM   #87
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Well done, love all the attention to detail.

Awesome car and looks so O/E, cant wait to see it again.

Thanks Peter

Hopefully it will all pay off. No doubt I will show my face at a few more events, had such a good time at the saloon day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post
Nice one Phil - it is a shame to see that the 200TDI's clogged the VNT mech so fast though....

I think it is going to be interesting if we can find a sweet spot , but it seems that mapping will probably have to be done on a dyno, and a 'loooong' session too to get it right.

I really hope the lag is not too bad for you, as I think you will miss the low down response the VNT gave you - as going back to an OE unit, I understand they are fairly similar in terms of response characteristics.

I know the stage 2 is around 2000 before anything meaningful happens, and 2225 before full boost can be achieved.

I have to admit it is my biggest fear with the GTB purchase, the soot levels..... first stage is cleaning running on SDI hybrids though to get it bedded in and work on the controller tweaking!
The VNT sooted up with the hybrid injectors and the fuel pump virtually maxed out. Needless to say it was very smokey so not really surprising, it was a question of when not if. We did try reducing smoke with the hybrids by reducing the injection quantity but with the controller settings left as they were it wasn't boosting and obviously not making power. Changing the map and the controller map would have overcome this but there are so many variables and perameters in the VNT controller that it would have taken hours and hours so decided to leave things as they were and came away with some decent power runs and a hard cut limiter for good measure.

With SDIs back in now I'll see how the new turbo burns the fuel and then consider putting the 200's back in but if that happens I'll have to pay Kris a visit to reduce fueling again.

Regarding lag, I hope it isn't too bad too but from what I've seen on youtube and what I've read I believe I should be able to get 24-25psi by 2.5k rpm. If that is the case then it is no worse than my VNT. Time will tell I suppose because I'm not taking the 306 forum as gospel, just keeping an open mind until I know the facts.

Your GTB has a different vane design to my VNT so hopefully that should help with clogging. Also, you see the amount of smoke that comes out the back of tuned VAGs with the GTBs and they don't seem to have many problems. I'm sure you'll be fine.

I've said to Kris that when his controller is sorted I'll have one, VNT isn't off the cards for me completely, I just need a reliable daily driver for the next year hence keeping it old school and simple for now.