View Single Post
Old 21-11-14, 12:10 PM   #9
dsirrom

dsirrom is on a distinguished road
Dave

That is a really very interesting and helpful summary - thanks for putting the time in to share your experiences.

I am surprised that with all that stuff you didn't get over 200bhp.

I confess that I would have bet good money that the ITG/sports cat/stainless exhaust/ manifolds/ remap combination would have broken the 200bhp mark, but only based on a guess so it is really helpful to see what actually happens in practice rather than theory.

For me, the interesting follow up question is what is the best comination of the mods you have done or are available (you did effectively ALL the regular things bar cams) that would give the best bang per buck.

For example, decat / exhaust / ITG without cams or remap or manifolds could maybe give say 10 to 12 bhp which for the relatively smaller cost might make sense for most people (accepting you haven't done the decat for the reasons noted).

Also - if you did go for a decat and then a further remap would it break the 200bhp mark?

There is an argument to say that if you are not fussed about the power plant being original, and have the funds available up front (in this case circa £1.4k), then paying someone to take out the KV6 (and selling it on to recoup some cash) and putting in a lightly breathed on and rebuilt T16 turbo motor would give you the same (circa 197) or more (possibly up to 210 ish with a bigger down pipe and exhaust / cold air filter set up) power for similar or less money.

I accept though that for many people this is a step too far, in terms of either the initial outlay all in one go (which lets face it is hard to justify for cars worth on average less than £2k) or the potential risk in trusting a garage / tuner to do the work without any hassle or problems and that for others there is the issue of wanting to keep the KV6 for it's characteristics and 'authenticity' etc. If you are chasing power though then financially it seems to be potentially a cost effective option in the longer run?

Nice to hear you have got your car where you want it to be - enjoy the track days and don't forget to do something about the brakes

Regards
Dave

Last edited by dsirrom; 21-11-14 at 12:12 PM. Reason: I wish I could spell !
dsirrom is offline   Reply With Quote