View Single Post
Old 03-01-15, 05:12 PM   #36
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
tyres have been mounted to the rims, 2013 clio michelin slicks, the 2013 tyre was the last of that compound before it was revised with a harder compound for the last 2014 season.

They are well used slicks, but these tyres cost pennies compared to list 1b tyres and in the dry are pretty amazing.

The first time I used these tyres was on a completely standard ZS a few years ago, it was a perfect day (hot) and on the snett 300 circuit the times showed 2.27.5 best, but consistent 2.28 & 2.29's.
It was timed by the TDO and the data came through 2 weeks later, thus circumventing the 'no timing allowed on a track day'!

I thought nothing of those times until I recently analysed data for the snett300 and started to question the 2.27 times, wondering if they had been mixed up with an M3 or something.

The data I studied showed how hard it is for some race cars to beat that time...

Now I don't know if the times from those years ago are incorrect or not, but I do remember the little clio slick being amazing.

In the standard ZS it didn't take long to send them thread bare on the edges, the car had no camber!

The moral of this little story is...

Perhaps the best money spent is in sorting out the geo of the car.

Decent camber adjusters (forgetting the kamikaze crap on ebay) fr & rr will set you back 300+quid.

There is so much more of a gain with some geo and grip than there is in some coilovers and lowering the car.

Anyway, in a few weeks time we should get the car out for a shakedown and if the weather's good, we'll see how these old clio tyres do.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote