View Single Post
Old 08-02-15, 04:04 PM   #66
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
As always, thanks for such a lengthy reply and advice.
I am gathering an understanding of roll centers, roll axis, bump steer etc and appreciate that a "slammed" car isn't necessarily best unless the suspension geometry is compensated for.
I plan to get under the two cars (one currently standard, one lowered significantly) and get measurements to establish where the roll center is on the standard car and exactly how lowering the other one has influenced this.
Once I have quantified it I will then make the decision of compensation (with stiffer springs) or to try and correct (with extended ball joints of appropriate length relative to the planned drop in ride height).
Unless you know of any working diagrams to save me measuring?

It's actually very interesting once you start digging into the theory behind these things isn't it.

I'm sorry to say that I went against your word and got some GAZ coilovers but for the money I paid, I just couldn't pass them up.

They do need a refurb though and some stiffer springs (they came off a 1.8). I was thinking of running the 325 lb/in currently on the front on the rear and getting some 550 lb/in to run on the front.
They normally come with 425 / 225 for the 180 so the above rates should give a slight proportional increase in stiffness without going silly. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
the twin pot accord type R brakes (300mm) and I use a 300mm disc I get machined up.
Were they the 300mm accord type r 5 stood discs you had re-drilled?