View Single Post
Old 28-10-15, 10:45 AM   #112
Malteser

Malteser is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post
Well - I put tinkering in quotes as I've done substantial engine modifications, but compared to your transplants and the rest it is not in the same league of time/effort

I guess the engine you've got takes up more space, as there is space for a single pass FMIC in the bottom grill on the 400, as I used that as the template to get mine fitted actually.... needed to remove the crash bar behind the bumper, and cut some of the slam panel to fit the return pipe back over the top..

A little irrelevant though if you don't have the space due to other mods tho

Tbh - If I were you try and get as good quality core as you can, and size is not as critical - might cost you a bit more to get it made up, but thermal efficiency is what you are after - esp in hotter temps than the UK.

mine is not much larger than the OE one, but will drop temps from 120c to 40c with over 26PSI boost in around 25C air temps....

I'll find out how it does on the new turbo in due course - but I'll not be running as high boost I don't think, so initial temps should be lower.
When I tried putting one in, it would have to be a really thin one to fit back there because since my radiator is larger, the aircon radiator and fans had to go there and they are taking up the space. Also I don't have a crash bar there but if I put it behind the bumper area, then it won't get any cold air really. I'll just have to spend some time thinking about it and seeing what the best option is.

Off the top of my head, I was thinking of trying in front of the gearbox, at about the same level as it, and create a type of funnel that would take air from the front/bottom and funnel it through the IC and then it would go through into the engine bay.

Right now that is the best idea coming to mind, but we will see once I go pick it up again today from the exhaust pipe place.
Malteser is offline   Reply With Quote