View Single Post
Old 15-02-16, 09:55 PM   #207
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
So yesterday Mrs TC wanted to go out for a romantic walk around one of the local historic towns and we ended up in Arundel.

After a couple of hours we returned to FE54 see wouldn't start, happily turned over but no start.

I checked the codes on the scan gauge, P0138 and P0141 which refer to the broken wiring on the rear O2 sensor and P0340 - cam sensor!

I had this 18 months ago when it transpired the wiring for the rear exhaust manifold O2 sensor had been damaged on the exhaust. I checked the three engine management fuses in the engine bay fuse box, sure enough one had blown.

I took out the one for the hazard lights and popped it in the slot and the car started. As we drove down the road with me apologising for not going on somewhere for a meal I demonstrated what I had done by switching on the hazard lights. Um, they worked.

Then I realised the radio and the clock weren't working..............ops, wrong fuse.

Watching the scan gauge as I drove showed that the engine management fuse had gone again (car was running open loop as it had no O2 info), just as well it will still run without a camshaft signal, just wont start.

We got home as it got dark so I grabbed a torch and peaked down the back of the engine and sure enough the O2 sensor was resting on the exhaust manifold. I reached down (watch that hot manifold) and pulled the wiring up and away from the exhaust, replaced the fuse and she's been fine today (6 starts and running closed loop).

Last weekend when I tided up the wiring for the rear sensor I tucked the offending wiring into a spare clip, that was a mistake.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote